Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Umax Astra 1200S scanner (SCSI) not being recognized in OS 9.2.2

I have a Umax Astra 1200S scanner connected to a Power Mac G4 which is no longer being recognized in OS 9.2.2. I keep getting a message -- "scanner not found."

The connection is a SCSI connection. I have reinstalled the drivers from the original scanner software CD (Vista) and checked the SCSI cables. The SCSI ID is set to the factory setting (5). I have a terminator in the second SCSI in the back of the scanner--there are no other devices in the SCSI chain. I have made sure that the scanner was on before starting up the computer in OS 9.2.2 (I mostly use OS X version 10.4.3--the scanner has never worked in "Classic"--when I have been able to access the scanner in the past it was by switching the start up disk to 9.2.2).

How would I check to make sure that the SCSI ID on the back of the scanner is not interefering in anyway --- or does that matter if I don't have any other devices connected to the G4?

I haven't used the scanner in a while and am not sure whether this problem was caused by installing Jaguar. It might have been.

Any suggestions as to how to connect?

Thanks!

Power Mac G4 Mac OS X (10.4.3) also using MAc OS 9.2.2

Power Mac G4 Mac OS X (10.4.3)

Power Mac G4 Mac OS X (10.4.3)

Posted on Aug 4, 2006 10:16 AM

2 replies

Aug 6, 2006 7:24 PM in response to Tumbril

Hi, Tumbril. If you have only one SCSI device connected to the computer, it can use any SCSI ID number from 1 through 6, so 5 should be fine. If there are two SCSI ports on the scanner and you have a terminator block on one, termination should also be OK. You say you've "checked the SCSI cables", but you don't say how, or why "cables" is plural — you should only need one cable for your setup. Are you quite certain that the cable you're using is good? Have you tried switching it with another SCSI cable? Had you changed your physical setup in any way that involved disconnecting and reconnecting the SCSI cable just before the problem began?

Umax Astra 1200S scanner (SCSI) not being recognized in OS 9.2.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.