Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ATI Radeon HD 5870 + 2x 27 LED Displays?

Hey all.

I'm wondering if I can drive 2x 27 LED Displays (non-thunderbolt) of my Radeon HD 5870. I know I can't use both mini DisplayPorts at once (at least, that had been my experience so far — doing this results in one monitor being pitch black), but can I drive one of the 27s with the DVI connection on the graphics card?

My current set up is 1x 27 LED Cinema display (native MiniDisplay to MiniDisplay) and 1x 23 Cinema Display aluminum bezel (native DVI to DVI).

Questions:

1. Can I drive 2x 27 Cinema Displays natively on both MiniDisplay ports?

2. Failing that, can I drive 2 x 27 Cinema Displays where one is connected to the DVI port on the graphics card with an adapter (if one exists)?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Posted on Feb 5, 2014 7:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2014 7:30 AM

Posting this question, I found "related posts" which lead me to this KB article: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4279

Info towards the bottom states:

To connect up to two Mini DisplayPort displays and up to a 30-inch DVI display simultaneously, use the ports without any adapters.

I presume 2x 27 native Mini DisplayPort displays will work, and it has been the DVI-DisplayPOrt adapter that has left me with one blank screen previously. As long as everythinng is native, there should be no problem.

Can anyone please confirm?

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2014 7:30 AM in response to bkpr

Posting this question, I found "related posts" which lead me to this KB article: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4279

Info towards the bottom states:

To connect up to two Mini DisplayPort displays and up to a 30-inch DVI display simultaneously, use the ports without any adapters.

I presume 2x 27 native Mini DisplayPort displays will work, and it has been the DVI-DisplayPOrt adapter that has left me with one blank screen previously. As long as everythinng is native, there should be no problem.

Can anyone please confirm?

Feb 5, 2014 7:41 AM in response to bkpr

I drive two 27" Samsung SyncMasters and a 37" Visio HDTV all at the same time with my Radeon HD 5770 (the "little brother" to the 5870) just by using these active MDP adapters:

Amazon.com : Accell B087B-006B UltraAV Mini DisplayPort to DVI-D Single-Link Active Adapter ATI Certified (Black) : Electronics Cable Adapters : Computers & Accessories

instead of the Apple passive adapters.

hope this helps

Feb 5, 2014 9:39 AM in response to RatVega™

FWIW - I also have no issues whatsoever driving two Dell UltraSharp 23" monitors with my ATI Radeon 5770 HD video card via two mini displayport to displayport cables that I purchased from monoprice.

(trying to be as specific as possible). Bottom line, if I can easily drive two displayport-ready monitors, then the more robust ATI 5870 should have no problems doing that! I've also setup three monitors before, the first two the same as described and the thrid was my Dell UltraSharp 22" via DVI. The ATI Radeon 5770 features two MDP and one DVI port (DVI-D). I can also do all of the above and setup one of them to be vertical - usually for my Event Browser - as I prefer list view, etc.

Hope this helps.

Feb 5, 2014 10:21 AM in response to yet another...

Thanks for your quick replies.

I figured the card itself was powerful enough to drive two 27 monitors, I was more asking about using two MDP displays without adapters, and hoping they would work. My previous experience was it wouldn't, but one of those displays was using an Apple passive adapter.

I was hoping to get a confirmation from someone running 2x MDP displays without adapters on this card, although as more time passes, that bit of info in Apple's KB article sounds like it would work. I guess I'm wanting to know 100% before I fork out for another refurb display.

Thanks again for your info. At the very least, I could get an adapted and use the DVI port on the card if 2x MPD don't work natively.

ATI Radeon HD 5870 + 2x 27 LED Displays?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.