Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

advanced find and replace pages 5

In version 4 of Pages for Mac, I used to be able to find and replace mutiple paragraph returns or tabs from long documents, with the "advanced" find and replace feature. I cannot figure out how to do this in version 5. Can this be done or has this feature disappeared.

Posted on Feb 5, 2014 10:30 AM

8 replies

Feb 5, 2014 11:26 AM in response to Jerrold Green1

Thanks Jerry,

I tried the copy paste thing, but when I paste a single paragraph returns in the replace with box, all the options "replace all", "replace and find", and replace are all greyed out. It doesn't allow me to do anything.

I've also since discovered the Edit/Find menu and used command F - selected the text I want to use, then used the Edit/Find/selection for find and Edit/Find/use selection for replace options in then menu.

This is very awkward, but it worked.

GT

Apr 13, 2014 7:28 AM in response to boulderskies9889

If you read the help, Help in the menu > click on it, you'll find this:

Find and replace text

You can search for specific words, phrases, numbers and characters, and automatically replace search results with new content that you specify. All visible content in the document — the main body text, headers and footers, tables, text boxes, shapes, footnotes and endnotes, and comments — is included in the search.

Search for specific text

1. Click View User uploaded file in the toolbar, then choose Show Find & Replace.
  2. In the search field, enter the word or phrase you want to find.Matches are highlighted as you enter text.
  3. To find words that match the capitalisation you specify, or to restrict search results to the whole words you entered, click User uploaded file, then choose Whole Words or Match Case (you can choose both).
  4. Click the arrow buttons to find the next or previous match.

To see or clear recent searches, click the arrow next to the magnifying glass.

Replace found text

1. Click View User uploaded file in the toolbar, then choose Show Find & Replace.
  2. Click User uploaded file in the Find & Replace window, then choose Find & Replace.You can also select other options, such as Whole Words and Match Case, to refine your search.
  3. Enter a word or phrase in the first field.As you enter text, matches are highlighted. The first match is selected and highlighted in yellow.
  4. Enter the replacement word or phrase in the second field.If you leave the Replace field blank, all instances of the text are deleted when you replace the found text.
  5. Use the buttons at the bottom of the Find panel to review and change the text matches:
    • Replace All: Replaces all text matches with the replacement text.
    • Replace & Find: Replaces the selected match and moves to the next.
    • Replace: Replaces the selected match with the replacement text but doesn’t move to the next match.
    • Previous and Next arrows: Move to the previous or next match without making a change.

Sep 13, 2015 11:34 PM in response to boulderskies9889

What G Tack means is that you select the text/string in your document first (to select formatting characters, such tab or return, it is helpful to select show invisibles in the View menu) After you have selected your string, and while the small, grossly simplified Find/Replace window is open, you hit Command-E, then the F/R window will recognize your string. You can also select this option in Edit>Find>Use selection for Find. It is unfortunate that this is not any clearer, but this works fine. Use the Option+Tab works for tabs, but Option+Return does not work when entering it into the Find box.

advanced find and replace pages 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.