4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 23, 2014 9:01 AM by mikojanari
Richard Collyer1 Level 1 Level 1 (35 points)

This morning I was forced to change my passcode on my iPad Air.  Is there a setting somewhere to disable forced passcode change?  It looks like the force change is every three months.  It also appears to remember some number of previous passcodes to keep me from re-using passcodes.  Does anyone know how many it remembers?

• poikkeus1 Level 4 Level 4 (1,045 points)

This the kind of thing you'd find in developers' software - but not in iOS7.  A few other users have had a similar experience.

If I were you, I'd make an appointment at the Apple Store and inquire at the Genius Bar. Your customer service notes may assist you and future users. Say that these three month intervals are the same developers use.

The next time you see this happening, make lots of print screens, and bring it to the Apple Store.

And...please, post back here with your results.

• Richard Collyer1 Level 1 Level 1 (35 points)

I will work on keeping this up to date as I learn more.  In the mean time, it occurs to me that this may be related to my iPad being connected to my company Exchange email server - maybe the force chane is coming from there.  Does Microsoft has that kind of control over my iPad?

• paulcb Level 6 Level 6 (19,090 points)

If you're syncing with a corporate MS Exchange, the IT people controlling that are probably implementing policies that force you to have a passcode and force you to change it every few months.  This is very common and seen on these boards regularly.

• mikojanari Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

This is exactly what happens when you add an Exchange mail account to your device. Depending on the mail admins rules. For example, on mine as soon as I added the account I was forced to change to a 16+ character passcode, it forced autolock, etc.