Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The google safe browsing service is unavailable.

In settings>security it says that "The google safebrowsing service is unavailable. No updates have occured in 10 days." I did not see this on other browsers. How do I update this if I can.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 5, 2014 11:02 AM

8 replies

Feb 5, 2014 11:35 AM in response to jackm831

This suggests using Google's DNS service for lookups

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2274140?start=0&tstart=0

Rebooting should help to clear out any locally cached DNS records.

In my Safari on 10.6.8 also says the service hasn't been updated, so perhaps Google are doing some maintenance?!

See if toggling the check box makes any difference (it may just reset the 'last checked' date).

Apr 16, 2014 10:12 PM in response to jackm831

How to fix: "Google Safe Browsing Service is Unavailable" Error in Safari

1. On the Finder Menubar, click "Go".

2. Then click, "Go to Folder".

3. Type in: /private/var/folders

4. There will be a few folders to search through. Open them up and search for a folder named com.apple.files and open it.

5. Find, and open the folder named , com.apple.safari

6. In this folder, there should be a folder named, safebrowsing.db

7. Send it to the trash and delete it. This will force Safari to rebuild the file.

8. This should fix the problem. Check back in a day or so to test. Note: This file is not updated every day.

May 15, 2014 1:20 PM in response to jackm831

cfromsd's procedure (for which thanks) worked for me, too. Another procedure I read somewhere is starting the laptop in Safe Mode, then starting in full mode. That has worked for me, too. But I have had to re-do it every so often.

The obvious question is, Why does this occur and recur? Surely, the folks at Google and Apple should be able to come up with a better solution? Or maybe not.

Apr 14, 2015 10:10 AM in response to ffemt264

Here is how you fix it temporarily till "Google" comes up with a solution :

Triple click on this link and "copy" to the clipboard :

/private/var/folders/2_/247l21ds63v9ln52r5p7pp1r0000gn/C/com.apple.Safari/SafeBr osing.db

go to Finder > go > go to folder >paste the above link; you will find a file named "SafeBrowsing.db" put it in the trash.

Restart and empty the trash.

*P.S. save the link you will probably need it in the future

The google safe browsing service is unavailable.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.