Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to get a Virus from an over-the-air distributed app?

I've been invited to participate of a beta and have seen 2 apps that can be downloaded directly from safari over-the-air. There's any risk they can harm my device in any way? And no, my iphone is not jailbroken

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Feb 5, 2014 1:25 PM

4 replies

Feb 5, 2014 1:39 PM in response to Matthy90

With any app that's not gone through Apple's vetting process there's always the chance that the app can contain malware of some sort, though the damage any such app could cause will be limited. There's always the chance that some data on your iPhone could be compromised, though. If you dont trust the developer, don't participate in the beta.

Regards.

Feb 5, 2014 3:34 PM in response to Matthy90

Thank you for the help. The developer did say they're not colllecting the UDID's or the data on the phones, but I'm not trusting my iphone and my account's safety in his words only. He did also mention that the date had to be changed in order to download it, maybe because Apple doesn't allow it to be distributed that way anymore, anyways I'll just stick with the apps I get from the Store.

Best Regards.

Is it possible to get a Virus from an over-the-air distributed app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.