Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mission Control no longer runs

Hi there,

I'm running Mavericks on my iMac and while Mission Control has run in the past (and since my upgrade to Mavericks) - it won't run now. The hot corners that had worked, no longer work, the keyboard shortcut doesn't work and navigating to Applications and launching -- in all cases it won't run. I've logged off, I've restarted the Dock, removed the dashboard, desktop and dock.plist... nothing has resolved the problem. So, I'm reaching out to the Apple community for any ideas folks might have.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Posted on Feb 5, 2014 1:59 PM

26 replies

Feb 5, 2014 4:38 PM in response to DDTriGuy

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a test, not a solution. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

Step 1

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is localized to your user account.

Enable guest logins* and log in as Guest. Don't use the Safari-only “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac.”

While logged in as Guest, you won’t have access to any of your personal files or settings. Applications will behave as if you were running them for the first time. Don’t be alarmed by this; it’s normal. If you need any passwords or other personal data in order to complete the test, memorize, print, or write them down before you begin.

Test while logged in as Guest. Same problem?

After testing, log out of the guest account and, in your own account, disable it if you wish. Any files you created in the guest account will be deleted automatically when you log out of it.

*Note: If you’ve activated “Find My Mac” or FileVault, then you can’t enable the Guest account. The “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac” is not the same. Create a new account in which to test, and delete it, including its home folder, after testing.

Step 2

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party system modifications that load automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. You must hold down the shift key twice: once when you boot, and again when you log in.

Note: If FileVault is enabled, or if a firmware password is set, or if the boot volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal boot may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, reboot as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of Steps 1 and 2.

Feb 6, 2014 5:31 PM in response to DDTriGuy

while Mission Control has run in the past (and since my upgrade to Mavericks) - it won't run now

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the icon grid.

Make sure the title of the Console window is All Messages. If it isn't, select All Messages from the SYSTEM LOG QUERIES menu on the left. If you don't see that menu, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar.

Click the Clear Display icon in the toolbar. Then try the action that you're having trouble with again. Select any messages that appear in the Console window. Copy them to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message (command-V).

When posting a log extract, be selective. In most cases, a few dozen lines are more than enough.

Please do not indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Important: Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

Feb 6, 2014 6:50 PM in response to Linc Davis

Linc,

I tried launching Mission Control by the F3 Key, Hot Corners, Spotlight -> Mission Control and launching directly from Applications. In all cases it does pull up and there are no resulting errors displayed when I cleared display. However, when I select the reload button and some items were found around the time I was trying to get mission control to run - I don't know if they correlate. Those are listed below:

2/6/14 9:43:28.000 PM kernel[0]: TMCCFS 1123 MSG fileOpScopeListener exec file:/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/Me tadata.framework/Versions/A/Support/mdworker:1

2/6/14 9:43:28.000 PM kernel[0]: TMCCFS 1124 MSG fileOpScopeListener exec file:/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/Me tadata.framework/Versions/A/Support/mdworker:1

2/6/14 9:43:28.000 PM kernel[0]: TMCCFS 69 MSG handlePutExceptionPids in with 12 apps & 9 pids

2/6/14 9:44:37.498 PM com.apple.IconServicesAgent[271]: Icon filename entry missing from bundle info dictionary for bundle at URL: file:///System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/WebKit2.framework/Versions/A/XPCServic es/com.apple.WebKit.WebContent.xpc/

2/6/14 9:44:38.076 PM com.apple.IconServicesAgent[271]: Icon filename entry missing from bundle info dictionary for bundle at URL: file:///System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/WebKit2.framework/Versions/A/XPCServic es/com.apple.WebKit.Networking.xpc/

2/6/14 9:44:38.651 PM com.apple.IconServicesAgent[271]: Icon filename entry missing from bundle info dictionary for bundle at URL: file:///System/Library/Frameworks/QTKit.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.ap ple.qtkitserver.xpc/

2/6/14 9:44:55.796 PM com.apple.IconServicesAgent[271]: Icon filename entry missing from bundle info dictionary for bundle at URL: file:///System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/XPCServices/com.apple.doc k.extra.xpc/

2/6/14 9:44:55.895 PM com.apple.IconServicesAgent[271]: Icon filename entry missing from bundle info dictionary for bundle at URL: file:///System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/InternetAccounts.framework/Versions/A/ XPCServices/com.apple.internetaccounts.xpc/

2/6/14 9:44:55.942 PM com.apple.IconServicesAgent[271]: Icon filename entry missing from bundle info dictionary for bundle at URL: file:///System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ShareKit.framework/Versions/A/XPCServi ces/com.apple.ShareKitHelper.xpc/

2/6/14 9:45:01.000 PM kernel[0]: TMCCFS 1136 MSG fileOpScopeListener exec file:/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/Me tadata.framework/Versions/A/Support/mdworker:1

2/6/14 9:45:01.000 PM kernel[0]: TMCCFS 69 MSG handlePutExceptionPids in with 12 apps & 9 pids

2/6/14 9:45:01.663 PM Finder[244]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "_?{".

2/6/14 9:45:01.735 PM Finder[244]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "_?{".

2/6/14 9:45:03.092 PM WindowServer[135]: disable_update_timeout: UI updates were forcibly disabled by application "Finder" for over 1.00 seconds. Server has re-enabled them.

2/6/14 9:45:05.120 PM WindowServer[135]: common_reenable_update: UI updates were finally reenabled by application "Finder" after 3.03 seconds (server forcibly re-enabled them after 1.00 seconds)

2/6/14 9:45:51.000 PM kernel[0]: TMCCFS 1141 MSG fileOpScopeListener exec file:/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/Me tadata.framework/Versions/A/Support/mdworker:1

2/6/14 9:45:51.000 PM kernel[0]: TMCCFS 69 MSG handlePutExceptionPids in with 12 apps & 10 pids

2/6/14 9:48:55.319 PM xpcproxy[1148]: assertion failed: 13B42: xpcproxy + 3438 [EE7817B0-1FA1-3603-B88A-BD5E595DA86F]: 0x2

Feb 7, 2014 2:26 AM in response to Linc Davis

My apologies, allow me to clarify. What I was trying to say is that I am still unable to launch Mission Control. I followed your procedure including CLEAR DISPLAY and then immediately try to launch Mission Control in a variety of differenct ways (keyboard shortcut, from applications, hot corners, etc.). None of the attempts results in a successful launch of Mission Control and no errors are presented in ALL Messages. I'm assuming that the log entries would be near real time after attempting the launch, but nothing refreshes on the screen automatically. Then, after waiting for a log entry to write for about a minute with no onscreen results, if I then select RELOAD, the log shows me the entries above.

The point I'm trying to make is that launching Mission Control doesn't result in any log entries being written dynamically to the all messages view. I only see entries AFTER I reload. I don't know how Console works well enough to say if errors messages that might have been written by a failed launch of Mission Control would dynamically write to the console or if a reload would be required. If Dynamic, no log entries resulted. If a Reload is required, then the errors above are what were presented around the time that I tried to launch Mission Control.

Feb 7, 2014 7:43 AM in response to DDTriGuy

Back up all data.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.spaces.plist

Right-click or control-click the line and select

Services Reveal in Finder (or just Reveal)

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with an item selected. Move the selected item to the Desktop, leaving the window open. Log out, log back in, and test. If there's no change, put the item you moved back where it was, overwriting the one that may have been created in its place. Otherwise, delete the item you moved.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar, paste into the box that opens (command-V). You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Feb 7, 2014 7:52 PM in response to DDTriGuy

Back up all data.

In the Finder, hold down the option key and select

Go Library

from the menu bar. From the Library folder, move the following item to the Trash, if it exists:

Application Support/Dock

and move the following items to the Desktop (again, some may not exist):

• Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.dock.*.plist
  • Preferences/com.apple.dock.db
  • Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist

Here, * stands for a long string of letters and numbers.

Next, triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

open $TMPDIR../C

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

Launch the built-in Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the page that opens.

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing the key combination command-V. A folder should open. Inside it there may be a file named "com.apple.dock.iconcache". If there is, drag it to the Trash.

Log out, log back in, and test. If you still have the issue, put the items on the Desktop back where they came from and post again. Otherwise, delete the items.

Mission Control no longer runs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.