Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Constant requests for login password

Why as an Administrator on my Mac am I being ask constantly for logins? Messages wants a login, iTunes wants a login when i search my library, identityservicesd wants a login everyone wants my login password everytime I turn on my mac, what gives? PLease someone explain whats happening here

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Feb 5, 2014 2:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2014 1:18 PM

Hi,

In normal circumstances the Login keychain is unlocked with the same Password that login you into to your Mac Use account.

If they are different you need to unlock the keychain for "everything" to gain access.

You can of course change the password of the keychain

Go to Applications/Utilities and open the Keychain Access App

Open the Preferences and check the First Aid section.

See also the Edit Menu > Change Password (you have to highlight a particular keychain in the list).

User uploaded file

9:18 pm Thursday; February 6, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2014 1:18 PM in response to Community User

Hi,

In normal circumstances the Login keychain is unlocked with the same Password that login you into to your Mac Use account.

If they are different you need to unlock the keychain for "everything" to gain access.

You can of course change the password of the keychain

Go to Applications/Utilities and open the Keychain Access App

Open the Preferences and check the First Aid section.

See also the Edit Menu > Change Password (you have to highlight a particular keychain in the list).

User uploaded file

9:18 pm Thursday; February 6, 2014

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Feb 7, 2014 3:21 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Well I won't leave my Keychain unlocked while I'm using my mac unless someone tells me it's safe to do so. My login has never never changed, it's still the one that runs the show on my mac. Thinking iCloud is causing all these problems as reinstalled the OS & found that when iCloud was on it was terrorizing me with requests to open my keychain.

Feb 7, 2014 12:29 PM in response to Community User

Hi,

If you have enable iCloud Keychain then you need to resolve those issues.

Before the iCloud keychain option the regular Login keychain was Unlocked as you started your computer using the same password.

It has been like this since day one of OS X 10.0

Try turning Off the keychain option in System Preferences > iCloud as a first step.

User uploaded file

8:29 pm Friday; February 7, 2014

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Constant requests for login password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.