Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will typing on an iPad virtual keyboard make me less proficient in typing on a traditional keyboard?

My teacher told me that I should stop typing on my iPad because I won't be able to type on a computer anymore?

Posted on Feb 5, 2014 6:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2014 6:08 PM

You will still be able to type. I'm old fashioned. I prefer to have my punctuation handy, not on a different screen. So I prefer a real keyboard and not the onscreen one.

Your teacher may have a point, to a degree. But I doubt typing on a screen will prevent you from typing on a real keyboard.

7 replies

Feb 5, 2014 7:32 PM in response to rajlego

I often find that when I type at a computer, I automatically use some of the shortcuts available on the iPad, e.g. double space to enter a full stop, or "hes" instead of "he's", and I have to go back and correct them.

For that reason I prefer to type the apostrophes myself using the shortcut suggested by bobseufert, so that I don't get into that habit. Unfortunately autocorrect down't like that, and messes with them, e.g. turns "it's not" into "it' snot".

There's nothing stopping you getting a Bluetooth keyboard and using that. I think a full size one will work (can anyone confirm?) and then typing will be exactly the same as on a computer.

Feb 5, 2014 8:05 PM in response to bobseufert

bobseufert wrote:

Aloha pshute, Typing it' snot made me turn auto-correction off. Bob.

I tried that too, but it's very useful for correcting the errors made by hitting a key beside the one intended, which is pretty easy to do if you're trying to touch type on it. Aparently that's what you're supposed to do, and just trust the autocorrect to fix it all.

Will typing on an iPad virtual keyboard make me less proficient in typing on a traditional keyboard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.