Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I see my deleted photos in Trash?

I have several photos in Trash that I cannot see. I have cleared all my filters to show all pictures and I still cannot see them. I repaired my library and there is nothing wrong. Does anyone know why I can't see my deleted photos in Trash?

iTunes-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Feb 5, 2014 6:44 PM

12 replies

Feb 5, 2014 11:37 PM in response to jodyshu

I have cleared all my filters to show all pictures and I still cannot see them.

Does the search field in the Browser show "All items" or "Unrated or better"? Mak e sure, it is "All items", otherwise rejected images will not show.

If your Aperture library is an iPhoto library or contains photos imported as an iPhoto library, then some of the photos may still be hidden. Photos that you have hidden in iPhoto can only be unhidden in iPhoto. Open your Aperture library in iPhoto to unhide all images.

Feb 6, 2014 1:32 PM in response to jodyshu

To add to Frank Caggiano's question:

To try to find out, if the problem is Aperture's trash or the System trash: If you try to empty the Aperture Trash, will the content be moved to the system trash or can Aperture not empty the trash at all?

And if you create a new Aperture library fro testing and trash a few images in Aperture - can you empty the Aperture trash, and are the images moved to to the system trash as they should be?

Feb 6, 2014 5:22 PM in response to léonie

I have done all three first aid options, including rebuilding my library. I created a new library and added a photo, then deleted it and I can see it in trash. This issue is just with the library I already have, which has 21,000 photos.

I copied my library and went into the copy and deleted my trash. The 11 photos are gone. I deleted some more and I still can't see them in the trash. Something is wrong with my trash setting with this library.

I am on the latest version of Aperture and on version 10.9.1 OS.

Feb 6, 2014 7:13 PM in response to jodyshu

Apple has changed the way Aperture trashes images since 3.4 or so and troubleshooting these types of problems can be a pain. That plus not having the problem here makes it really difficult to come up with a solution.

I have something you can try, it requires you to go into the Aperture library bundle and remove two files. It is safe to the library but anytime you do this type of thing a backup of the library is essential.

With Aperture closed

1. Locate the library in the Finder
  2. Right click (control-click) the library. One of the choices will be Show Package Contents select it
  3. There is a folder named Database open it
  4. Inside this folder are two folders Albums and Folders
  5. Open the Albums folder
  6. Look for a file trashAlbum.apalbum
  7. Drag it to the Desktop
  8. Open the Folders folder
  9. Look for a file caled TrashFolder.apfolder
  10. Drag it to the Desktop
  11. Open Aperture while holding down the option and command keys
  12. Rebuild the library

The images that were in the trash (if there were any) should be gone. Try deleting another image and see if you see it in the trash.

regards

Feb 7, 2014 2:48 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Terrific, Frank!

I just knew, if somebody here can solve a tricky Trash problem, it would be you.😎

I am trying to explore your solution a bit for future similar cases:

Finding the Trash in the "Albums" section is disconcerting, since it is behaving more like a project - at least, it is supposed to be containing images like a project and not referencing them like an album.

So, where is the actual Trash container?

Experimenting with quitting Aperture and then removing the " trashAlbum.apalbum", I found that Aperture does recreate it, when running a "Repair database". Rebuild does not seem to be necessary, if there is not an issue with the library. But without rebuilding or repairing, even adding items to the Trash or emptying the Trash did not recreate this album. Probably Aperture did still hold a cached version. I could not restart the system before launching Aperture again, because I had a backup running.

Inside this folder are two folders Albums and Folders

Just for the sake of completeness - my "Database" folder is showing a lot more folders inside:

• Albums, apdb, Faces, Folders, History, Places, Vaults, Versions, VersionGroups, Volumes
  • plus propertylists: ActiveWebPublishingAccounts.plist, BigBlobs.apdb, DataModelVersion.plist, Faces.dbHistory.apdb, ImageProxies.apdb, KeywordSets.plist, Keywords.plist, Library.apdb, Properties.apdb, tmSync.plist, ZoomLevelCache.plist

-- Léonie

Why can't I see my deleted photos in Trash?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.