Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If my Mac ends up with a virus, can I use Time Machine to go back before the virus?

I have recently just bought a 2TB external hard drive and have just backed up using Time Machine. I was just wondering, if my Mac was to become infected with a virus, would I be able to use Time Machine to restore my machine to back before it became infected with the virus? (So I didn't have to do a full factory setting resortation)

Thank you in advance for any assistance with this query.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 6, 2014 4:58 AM

6 replies

Feb 6, 2014 5:22 AM in response to jamiecur93

Yes, and don't worry about the reply that you have received indicating there are no Mac viruses. While this is true, those of us who are informed enough not to offer this knee jerk reply understand that by virus you meant malware, which there is (though generally in short supply) for OSX.

http://www.thesafemac.com/there-are-no-mac-viruses/

http://www.thesafemac.com/mmg-antivirus/

Feb 6, 2014 8:15 AM in response to Strawb268

I did see that (which was mostly a footnote) but I was responding to the unnecessry there are no viruses for Macs, which dominated most of the post.

99.99% of those posting here who use the term virus mean malware and have no interest in learning that there are no viruses for Macs. Saying this just gets them confused.

Feb 6, 2014 8:22 AM in response to WZZZ

My apologies. As a computer user since the days of Mainframes in 1970's, I tend to be rather precise in how I phrase things (a legacy of the old punch-card days). Also I write medico-legal reports for a living, again a field where precision is rather essential!

I saometimes forget that just because I read and write the word 'virus' as meaning just that, others (as you say) are prone to use it as a blanket term for malware and other 'irritations'.

Thanks for your clarifications WZZZ. Hope winter in the Big Apple is treating you well.

If my Mac ends up with a virus, can I use Time Machine to go back before the virus?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.