Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keeping two libraries

My wife wants my iphoto library on her computer so she can browse whenever she wants. If I make changes (for example delete bad photos, ratings, etc) what is the best way to apply those to hers? Merging in IPLM maybe?

Also, does anyone know how long it takes to merge two 60,000 photo libraries. I tried it on IPLM last night but it wasn't done this morning so had to cancel and there is no status bar.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 6, 2014 6:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2014 6:49 AM

Merging 2 x 60k into one library will take a long time - overnight at least...

Think of it this way: you're making a 120,000 image Library.

As to updating? Pretty much depends: If all the traffic is one way, then you can back up your Library to the library on hers and keep it updated that way. Otherwise you'll need Library Manager.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2014 6:49 AM in response to James Fernald

Merging 2 x 60k into one library will take a long time - overnight at least...

Think of it this way: you're making a 120,000 image Library.

As to updating? Pretty much depends: If all the traffic is one way, then you can back up your Library to the library on hers and keep it updated that way. Otherwise you'll need Library Manager.

Feb 6, 2014 3:23 PM in response to James Fernald

Use an app that will do incremental back ups.

The first time you run the back up the app will make a complete copy of the Library. Thereafter it will update the back up with the changes you have made. That makes subsequent back ups much faster.

Many of these apps also have scheduling capabilities: So set it up and it will do the back up automatically.

Example of such apps: Chronosync- but there are many others. Search on MacUpdateor the App Store

Keeping two libraries

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.