Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV / iPad / Projector aspect ratio issue

I work in a school which has projectors and screens in most of the classrooms and we've just started installing Apple TVs. I’ve come across a problem with using AirPlay to mirror the iPads using the Apple TV connected to a projector. All our projectors are 4:3 aspect ratio, either SVGA (800x600) or XGA (1024x768). The Apple TVs are 16:9 by default so are letterboxed when displayed on the projectors.

4:3 projector screen:

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

User uploaded file16:9 Apple TV on 4:3 projector screen:

User uploaded file

If I then mirror an iPad which has a 4:3 display via the Apple TV, it in turn gets ‘pillarboxed’ so the iPad image is small and doesn’t fill the whole screen:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

I've tried manually selecting a 4:3 resolution from the Apple TV settings, but the image is just squashed and looks like this:

User uploaded file

I can’t find a setting on the Apple TV to tell it that it is connected to a 4:3 ratio display and so fill the entire screen.

However, if I don't mirror the iPad's display but send a video from, say, the YouTube app, the image fills the entire 4:3 screen.

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

AppleTV 2, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Feb 6, 2014 6:37 AM

1 reply

Apple TV / iPad / Projector aspect ratio issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.