Previous 1 2 Next 24 Replies Latest reply: Apr 30, 2014 5:39 AM by pitouilles
Larry McJunkin Level 1 (30 points)

I've looked at the possible answers that come up when I ask this question here, but none really fit my question.

I want to automate the Terminal command that cleans out obsolete entries in my right-click "Open with" menu, which I have to do often. Rather than copying the command each time I want it, then opening Terminal, pasting it in, etc., is there a way to automate this with Applescript?  Thanks!

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)
  • Niel Level 10 (298,586 points)

Use code such as:

do shell script "ls -l ~"

(99949)

• Larry McJunkin Level 1 (30 points)

Thanks for the fast reply, Niel. I understand this is a newbie Applescript question, but over the years I have just never used Applescript and other than this one thing, probably won't again.  So rather than take hours to learn it, I hope you don't mind the additional question regarding this.  Do I just put the following into the main Applescript editor?

do shell script "ls -l ~"

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework//Versions/A/\

Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister \

-kill -r -domain local -domain user;

killall Finder

Use the following:

do shell script "/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework//Versions/A/\

Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister \

-kill -r -domain local -domain user"

tell application "Finder" to quit

(99951)

I got the following error:

sh: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework//Versions/A/: is a directory

sh: line 1: Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister: No such file or directory

sh: line 2: -kill: command not found

Here:

do shell script "/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/Launch Services.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain user"

tell application "Finder" to quit

(99954)

Copied exactly...here's the error (it's getting shorter, anyway).

sh: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/Launch: No such file or directory

BTW, the command itself in Terminal does work OK.

Delete the carriage return after Launch; the entire do shell script command needs to be on a single line.

(99960)

Well, that was scary!  I ran the Applescript and it didn't give me any errors, but my desktop went completely blank...no icons at all...for over two full minutes!  It finally came back, but I think I'll forget about automating it. When I run this command in Terminal, it simply blinks the desktop icons off and then right back on again as it kills Finder and rebuilds the desktop.

Add the following to the end of the script:

tell application "Finder" to run

The difference is that the Finder automatically relaunches if forced to close. Being told to quit by an AppleScript command is easier on it but doesn't count as a forced closure.

(99965)

That is already at the end of what you told me earlier (12:09pm).

Ooops...read that wrong.  That was the kill command.

No, it isn't; the line I gave you in that post has quit at its end, and this one has run.

(99967)

OK, just to make sure, this is what I'll try "after" you say it's OK.

do shell script "/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/Launch Services.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain user" tell application "Finder" to run

Previous 1 2 Next