Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monitor blacking out and flickering MacPro1,1

MacPro1,1 2 x 3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 3 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, running Lion 10.7.5

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256 MB

For a couple of months now, my monitor periodically blacks out for a second and/or flickers. Sometimes it gets really bad and I just have to shut down.

There was some dust buildup inside machine; it has been cleaned, still having problem; have tried reseating video/graphics card.

I have run Apple Hardware Extensive Testing and it shows there are no problems; have checked and made sure monitor cord is securely connected.

Have monitored Temperatures and they all appear to be fine.

I CANNOT FIGURE THIS ONE OUT! IS THE VIDEO/GRAPHICS CARD ... MONITOR GOING BAD ... I AM AT A LOSS, AND IT IS REALLY IRRITATING.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP AND GIVE SOME INSIGHT?

THANKS SO MUCH!

Posted on Feb 6, 2014 8:52 AM

6 replies

Feb 6, 2014 8:57 AM in response to Sandra Scott

Most graphics card that old have died of overheating a while ago.

RE: Mac Pro silver tower (2006-2012) Replacement Graphics cards

1) Apple brand cards,

2) "sold in the Apple store" cards, and

3) "Mac Edition" cards ...

... show all the screens, including Boot up screens, Safe Mode, Installer, Recovery, debug screens, and Alt/Option boot screens. At this writing, these choices include:

1) Apple brand cards:

• Apple-firmware 5770, about US$250** works near full speed in every model Mac Pro, Drivers in 10.6.5. (This card has just been discontinued and is no longer available from Apple dealers. There may be some new, old stock still available at resellers)

• Apple-firmware 5870, about US$450

2) "sold in the Apple store" cards

• NVIDIA Quadro 4000 Fermi, about US$1200

• NVIDIA Quadro K5000 Kepler, about US$2500

3) "Mac Edition" cards -- REQUIRE 10.8.3 or later:

• SAPPHIRE HD 7950 3GB GDDR5 MAC Edition, about US$480** Vendor recommends Mac Pro 4,1

• EVGA GTX 680 Mac Edition, about US$600

The cards above require no more than the provided two 6-pin aux power connectors provided in the Mac Pro through 2012 model. Aux cables may not be provided for third-party cards, but are readily available.

--------

If you are Meet ALL of these:

• running 10.8.3 or later AND

• don't care about "no boot screens" etc AND

• can re-wire or otherwise "work out" the power cabling, THEN:

You can use many more cards, even most "PC-only cards".

--------

One more thing--

Flashed PC cards: There are a good many EFI flashed cards that offer boot screens and behave like official cards. "for more information about using and flashing non-Apple cards, please check out the various sites like Netkas (and others) that focus on and discuss what is known and available. (Not supported or endorsed by Apple.)"

Jul 9, 2014 8:25 PM in response to Sandra Scott

I can say that I got an XFX Radeon HD 6670 working in a MacPro1,1 but not with x16 under 10.6.8. I will try to update as I learn more and let you know if it is stable. I am using DVI connection have not tested the others. I did not have to Flash the card.

In order for it to work I had to leave it at the 3rd setting in the "Expansion Slot Utility" which is 3-x8 Lane 1-x1 Lane. I have the 6670 in slot 1 the bottom most slot and under this setting that is an x8 lane. The Utility tells you that the Graphics Card is running below the x16 mark but when I tried one of the x16 settings for slot 1 the card did not appear to work and I had to VNC in to change it back.

To find the "Expansion Slot Utility" and manually launch it goto /System/Library/CoreServices/

I have also heard but not tested that these PC Graphics Cards function better under higher Mac OS's and that HDMI may even work on this card in Lion or higher.

Monitor blacking out and flickering MacPro1,1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.