Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Just used Migration Assistant but spotlight won't index files on new iMac computer.

I just used Migration Assistant to move files from my old 2008 Mac Pro to a new 2013 iMac 27" both Intel based. Files and applications all moved over fine and I can access them in Finder but Spotlight won't index the files. Should I be reindexing something or do I need to do somethign for spotlight to recognize the new filez I migrated?

Thanks!

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 6, 2014 10:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2014 10:26 AM

You can force a Spotlight index, just let it run and your migration should be just fine. Instructions are in:

Spotlight: How to re-index folders or volumes located at: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2409

1 reply

Just used Migration Assistant but spotlight won't index files on new iMac computer.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.