Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I send caller ID to specific numbers in my contact list?

I have an iPhone 5S with IOS 7. I have turned off under "Show My Caller ID". This is working well since our answering service provides text messages showing the caller name and caller phone number as a touchable link. I can call the client without distributing my cell number so the client will call our main office number instead of my cell.

However, for staff and family I would like to be able to send my caller ID. I have tried two fixes: (1) Enter the star code *82 in front of the area code and number in the contact list and (2) Manually dialing the number with a *82 ahead of the area code and number. Neither of these works. The call in both cases goes through, but in both cases the call appears as "restricted".

Is there another code or method of sending caller ID information to certain numbers in the contact list even though the setting "Show My Caller ID" is turned off?

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Feb 6, 2014 10:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2014 12:24 PM

Thanks, guys. I found a solution that works: before the contact phone number, enter *31# ahead of the area code and number. Whenever that contact phone number is called, the receiving phone will display my caller ID number.

All of the contact numbers in my favorites list have *31#. These are basically staff and family. All of these people have my caller ID information and their phone will display that it is me that is calling.

My office uses Map Mobile for our 24/7 phone answering. They send a text message which includes their typed in name and phone number and also includes the caller's caller ID number. This number is generally but not always the same number as they spoke when they talked to Map Mobile. I can see if they are the same. If I touch the blue link in the text message, the phone dials that number without caller ID and I am speaking to the caller. That way the client calls back to the office number that is answered by Map Mobile and not to my cell phone.

I got this information from another thread on this site. There is apparently another way using *82 and having the AT&T switch block all caller ID (not from within the iPhone) and using *82 to signal the AT&T switch to allow the caller ID for that call, but just entering *31# seems a lot simpler.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2014 12:24 PM in response to pdroth

Thanks, guys. I found a solution that works: before the contact phone number, enter *31# ahead of the area code and number. Whenever that contact phone number is called, the receiving phone will display my caller ID number.

All of the contact numbers in my favorites list have *31#. These are basically staff and family. All of these people have my caller ID information and their phone will display that it is me that is calling.

My office uses Map Mobile for our 24/7 phone answering. They send a text message which includes their typed in name and phone number and also includes the caller's caller ID number. This number is generally but not always the same number as they spoke when they talked to Map Mobile. I can see if they are the same. If I touch the blue link in the text message, the phone dials that number without caller ID and I am speaking to the caller. That way the client calls back to the office number that is answered by Map Mobile and not to my cell phone.

I got this information from another thread on this site. There is apparently another way using *82 and having the AT&T switch block all caller ID (not from within the iPhone) and using *82 to signal the AT&T switch to allow the caller ID for that call, but just entering *31# seems a lot simpler.

Feb 6, 2014 10:30 AM in response to ....Steve

You would have to check with the carrier to see what their codes are regarding sending Caller ID on a per call basis. Many differ, so a general code may not work for your particular carrier. You can also ask them about per call blocking. You might want to do that before the calls you want to block the caller ID on, rather than the blanket restriction you are currently using. The carrier would probably be the best place to get those answers.

Can I send caller ID to specific numbers in my contact list?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.