Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have 11 messages stuck in Outbox that I tried to send from my MacBook Pro in the past 3 weeks. I recently upgraded to Maverick and prior to that I had NO problems sending emails. I AM able to send emails from my iPhone. I am a novice.

I have 11 messages stuck in "outbox" that I tried to send from my MacBook Pro in the past 3 weeks. I am using gmail. I recently upgraded to Maverick. Prior to that, coincident or nor, I had NO trouble sending emails. I AM able to send emails from my iPhone. I am a novice and all printed "help" info. is Greek to me! Please help.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 6, 2014 11:41 AM

17 replies

Feb 8, 2014 7:46 AM in response to dotann

Except in very rare circumstances it should not be necessary to pay anybody to help you with your Mac.

Here are instructions for my Leopard OS - I assume Mavericks is similar:

1. On Go menu (at top of screen) select Utilities
  2. Double click Keychain Access
  3. Select All items
  4. Highlight an email related item
  5. Hit delete key - or use Edit (at top of screen) > Delete
  6. Repeat for other email related items

When you next use Mail your email provider will ask for your password. Normally once for outgoing email and once for incoming.

Feb 8, 2014 8:00 AM in response to dotann

I'm not sure what you mean by 'stuck'. I've had a problems with Mavericks where it will send an email but leave a copy of it in the outbox (this is an issue with how mail saves intermediary drafts). These messages can just be deleted, because they've already been sent. I've seen problems where one email gets stuck (usually because of an oversized or corrupt attachment) and blocks other emails from being sent. deleting and (if necessary) resending that first stuck email will usually resolve that problem.

you can also try cleaning out and rebuilding the envelope index; can't hurt and often helps. Quit mail, open terminal.app, and run the following command:

sqlite3 ~/Library/Mail/V2/MailData/Envelope\ Index vacuum

Feb 10, 2014 3:23 PM in response to dotann

Deleting items from the Keychain stops the Mac remembering your email password. Passwords sometimes get corrupted. Mail will ask you for your password when it next wants it.

This does not delete emails.

I assume you are using IMAP.

Try to use web access to your email provider. It may be easier to see what is happening on the web.

If you have not done this before Google something like: 'email web access for name-of-provider'.

Sep 24, 2014 9:03 AM in response to BarbSchmidt

It would be better if you started your own thread.

I am not sure how Outlook came to be set up on your Mac.

You may find that the first item in Apple Mail preferences defines your default email client.

You may have to put your email account details into Apple Mail.

Also ensure that in future you open Apple Mail and not Outlook to send email.

Jun 29, 2015 8:56 AM in response to dotann

I know I'm replying to an old thread, but I just found a fix on my end. Here's the strategy:

1. Open Mail
  2. Click Mail>Preferences
  3. Select the 'Accounts' Tab
  4. Click the Drop-Down Menu Next to 'Outgoing Mail Server' and select 'Edit SMTP Server List'
  5. A list of your accounts should appear. Click the advanced tab around the middle of the box. Then cycle through, clicking on your multiple accounts one at a time. If you find that one of your usernames and passwords is missing/incorrect, re-enter it, and click ok

I can't be 100% certain, but it appears the Outbox hangs up because in order to send messages from multiple addresses at once, it needs to authenticate all of them and then push them out from there. If even one of many is missing/incorrect, it will hold all messages until the issue is corrected. Hope this helps at least one other person!

Sep 13, 2015 11:05 AM in response to twtwtw

"...try cleaning out and rebuilding the envelope index; can't hurt and often helps. Quit mail, open terminal.app, and run the following command:

sqlite3 ~/Library/Mail/V2/MailData/Envelope\ Index vacuum"

Bingo! Worked like a charm. Hoping it will hold, as other solutions (like restarting the Mac) just worked for a while before messages started hanging once again.

I have 11 messages stuck in Outbox that I tried to send from my MacBook Pro in the past 3 weeks. I recently upgraded to Maverick and prior to that I had NO problems sending emails. I AM able to send emails from my iPhone. I am a novice.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.