Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restored my computer, now im stuck!!! Please help!!!

Okay so I got my iMac 21,5 mid 2010 as a birthday gift some time ago, but haven't used it so much so I thought i'd wipe it out and sell it to get some cash and do something eles with the money, I followed some instruction on some forum where it said that I had to delete "Machintosh HD" disk or whatever so I did and now im stuck!! I had OS X Lion on my iMac but now it's apparently gone and I can't get on the computer again, it says I need to download it again by the same Appstore account which was used when the OS X Lion was downloaded the first time, But I don't know and can't get that account cause I got the computer like this!!! How can I solve this now??? Please help a.s.a.p!!! And no I have no CD Disk!!!

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Feb 6, 2014 1:37 PM

8 replies

Feb 6, 2014 1:51 PM in response to Ramjarfromswe

Your Mac is old enough that it should have been prebundled with a set of original disks. Call AppleCare

to get them. Going to 10.7 is only necessary if the application you have is not compatible with your current operating system, but definitely is for 10.7. See http://www.roaringapps.com to figure that out.

The original discs include some version of 10.6, which supports even more applications, because as of 10.7 or later Rosetta is gone:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6271

If you still desire to get 10.7, setup your App Store account and link it to your computer

https://www.apple.com/support/itunes/account/

And request them to set you up with a redownload for the computer.

Remember 10.8 is the same cost as 10.7, and 10.9 is free.

Feb 6, 2014 2:37 PM in response to Ramjarfromswe

Without knowing if you are dependent on a specific software library, it is hard to know what options to give you.

1. Is your machine able to get to a place you can manage the files?

2. Do you have any specific tasks you want to do with your Mac?

3. Have you made any backups?

4. Is there any data on your machine you want to recover before doing any further steps?

Feb 6, 2014 2:50 PM in response to Ramjarfromswe

Not really, unless you want to pay. I suggest bringing the machine into the Genius bar, or an Apple Usergroup if you want instant feedback. They will give you an occasional free bit of advice. There may also be people at the Apple Store who can help you with their in store machines so you can see what can be done. What country are you from?

Feb 6, 2014 3:03 PM in response to Ramjarfromswe

> I followed some instruction on some forum where it said that I had to delete "Machintosh HD" disk or whatever so I did and now im stuck!!

That's your problem. Doing stuff that crazy that makes absolutely no sense.

Macintosh is the computer. HD is the hard drive. Delete means erase, get rid of, etc...

Honestly, it sounds like you need one of the "For Dummies" books. Don't be afraid of them.

Now when you sell a machine, it is likely a good idea to get the original installer discs. That's why I recommend calling AppleCare for them. They are only about $20. That will get you a base system, but anything you had on there before would be lost. That's why I ask those questions of you. If you don't have anything critical, that's what I'd do first is get the original discs. Once they have the original discs, and you can verify the computer is empty, that's pretty much all you need.

Get those discs, and someone here can help you set it up.

Restored my computer, now im stuck!!! Please help!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.