Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issue with my ISP and Airport Extreme (4th gen)

Here's the issue:

My ISP is apparenly comprised of several monkeys with telephones and know less about routers and networks than the guy that cleans my complex. That being said, I can only connect 3 devices to my network before I'm told that I'm over my limit for sessions. This is a new issue; a few months ago I had 7 different devices all connected to wireless without any issues. At that point I was in DHCP and NAT mode but now that just doesn't work.

My Airport Extreme is set to Bridge mode, and does this itself when I hard reset it. This shouldn't be working for me because I'm plugged straight into the wall and don't have access to a modem or anything, but is the only way for me to access the internet. When I set it to DHCP and NAT I get an error message telling me that a different device is using the IP address and I can't get internet connection.

I'm am out of ideas at this point and while it isn't life or death that I get back onto my network with all of my devices, it would be nice to be able to use my Apple TV again.

Posted on Feb 6, 2014 2:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2014 2:59 PM

I'm plugged straight into the wall and don't have access to a modem or anything, but is the only way for me to access the internet.

So, you are in an apartment or some other type of complex that provides Internet connections to each of the tenents through these wired Ethernet ports?

Do you pay an ISP directly for Internet service......or.....is this Internet service furnished by the complex where you reside?

a few months ago I had 7 different devices all connected to wireless without any issues. At that point I was in DHCP and NAT mode but now that just doesn't work.

When you try to use the DHCP and NAT mode, are you remembering to completely reset the AirPort back to factory default settings first....before you set up the AirPort?

If the AirPort is in Bridge Mode.....you cannot simply switch to DHCP and NAT. You have to start all over again from scratch.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2014 2:59 PM in response to The Mu

I'm plugged straight into the wall and don't have access to a modem or anything, but is the only way for me to access the internet.

So, you are in an apartment or some other type of complex that provides Internet connections to each of the tenents through these wired Ethernet ports?

Do you pay an ISP directly for Internet service......or.....is this Internet service furnished by the complex where you reside?

a few months ago I had 7 different devices all connected to wireless without any issues. At that point I was in DHCP and NAT mode but now that just doesn't work.

When you try to use the DHCP and NAT mode, are you remembering to completely reset the AirPort back to factory default settings first....before you set up the AirPort?

If the AirPort is in Bridge Mode.....you cannot simply switch to DHCP and NAT. You have to start all over again from scratch.

Feb 15, 2014 8:59 PM in response to The Mu

Just wanted to join in. I recently replaced an old linksys router with a new AirPort Extreme due to connectivity issues. The AirPort Extreme resolved those issues, but only works in bridge mode - I receive the same error message if I try to switch to DCHP and NAT. Browsing internet from my iMac, Air, and iPad mini are all working fine. Fired up the Apple TV to watch some Netflix this evening and all of a sudden the Apple TV is unable to connect to the iTunes server even after plugging it directly into the wall via Ethernet. I can see that the Apple TV recognizes both the wifi and Ethernet connections and has an ISP address assigned to it, but it refuses to connect to iTunes. Factory reset does nothing. Unplugging does nothing. Does this have to do with an ISP assigned out of range of the AirPort Extreme? Is this something I can change on the ATV end if I mess with the settings?

I, too, live in an apartment complex and am unable to gain access to a router, I plug directly into the wall. It's free service through my apartment, and although I have contacted the service directly in the past, they are based in a city out of town and don't have anyone nearby on a regular basis (figures why it's free, right?) Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated, otherwise I guess no Apple TV for me until I move in June :(

Mar 3, 2014 2:28 PM in response to Bob Timmons

I am paying the ISP directly and am in an apartment complex where each tenant is given a single ethernet port in their apartment. Will it make a difference that I'm paying the ISP directly? If so, please don't tell me I have to call them AGAIN. I've never heard of a company who offers worse support than Veracity.

Issue with my ISP and Airport Extreme (4th gen)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.