Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Liquid spill on MB Air

Hello,

Earlier this afternoon I spilled a small amount of Coca-Cola on my Macbook Air. The spill was the top half of the track pad and the keyboard around the space bar and keys V, B, N, M, F,G, H. Within a second I flipped the Macbook upside down and all the liquid ran off. I also managed to wipe any residue off and blast it for ten seconds or so with a hairdryer on the cool setting.

When I spilled the liquid the laptop was on and remained on until I switched it off myself. I switched it back on and it was running without a hitch. I popped off most of the keys and noticed that there was no residule liquid.

What should I do now? I have it currently sitting infront of a fan to be sure but as its running normal I don't know how long I should leave it like this. Should I take it into an Apple Store to get checked out? I'm worried that although it seems fine now, it may start having problems further down the track.

Thank you!

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Feb 6, 2014 11:25 PM

5 replies

Feb 7, 2014 1:28 AM in response to bastiansimrajh

Should I take it into an Apple Store to get checked out? I'm worried that although it seems fine now, it may start having problems further down the track.

drying wont work, you think it does, everyone does, but they're always wrong.

Yes, you need it opened up and appt with your local Apple store., you spilled nasty acids inside and your Air will corrode and falter.

see below

Liquid spills, why your MacBook chassis is a one-way valve for spills

After a substantial spill many people will turn their notebook upside down and shake it, not only does this not work, but it spreads liquid havoc throughout your machine and makes things often as bad as possible.

The keyboard itself acts like a one way valve in the case of a substantial liquid spill. While liquid pours into the bottom chassis easy, it does not come out easily at all, and in the case of any spill, most of it will not come out by turning it upside down. Disconnect all power and contact Apple for diagnostics and repair.

User uploaded file

Do not attempt to, after a spill, ‘dry out your MacBook’ and test it

After a spill most people invariably try to “dry out” their notebook by various methods, including hair dryers and otherwise. This both does not work, and after a substantial spill of any magnitude, even if the liquid was water, residue is left behind.

There are additionally many very tight places inside your notebook where liquids will linger for a very long time, and cause corrosion or worse.

Immediately unplug your notebook and contact Apple for in shop diagnostics and parts replacement.

In the case of very minor spills people will “dry out” their notebook and feel success that their notebook is working ok, however invariably in nearly all instances after 4-14 days an error / fault pops up and is usually followed by more.

In case of a spill, damage estimates are impossible,.....anything can be fixed, without question.......the question is cost.

contact Apple for in shop diagnostics and cost estimation ....possible parts replacement. 😊

Feb 7, 2014 8:27 PM in response to themachead

Thanks for your help huys.

I pulled it apart myself today to have a look inside for any visible damage. Everything on the inside seemed pretty good. No visible stains or residue from the coke. I stopped short of removing the logic board (feels a little above my skill set) but I did clean what I could carefully with a q-tip and some isopropyl. Here's hoping when its finished drying off completely it comes together okay!

Here are some pictures of the inside. Anything you think I should be worried about?

http://imgur.com/H3Hq9fY

http://imgur.com/nvIctG0

http://imgur.com/5b7tz3o

http://imgur.com/ktA2pOo

Feb 8, 2014 4:56 AM in response to bastiansimrajh

I would think that if there was something visible to clean up on this side (the bottom of the board) there's probably damage/reside on the other side.... you will find out in a few days if it starts acting strange you now know why.

Yes removing the logic board is a very advanced DIY - essentially you are completely disassembling then reassembling the entire machine. Helps you understand why a liquid damage repair is so expensive.

Liquid spill on MB Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.