Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't display time position on playhead

I have iMovie 10.0.2 and Mavericks and I want to cut an hour long movie into about 5 min segments. I want to be able to browse the movie and find out where I want to split it, note the time positions, then import the 1 hour each time and delete the sections before and after my clip and save each one. But, I cannot display the time location with the playhead (as apparently used to be possible). There are no Advanced Tools, the Preferences consist of two minor items only. The video is of a talk so the there are no visual clues as to locations.

I have spend several hours reading discussions and the only solution seems to be to use a 3rd party app MPEG Streamclip which will cut my original video into clips. Surely this is not what Apple, iMovie expects me to do?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Feb 6, 2014 11:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2014 6:09 AM

No, the playhead time position cannot be displayed in iMovie10.

If you only want to split a movie into parts and not do other editing then Quicktime 7, Quicktime 10 (the version that came with Mavericks) or your suggested 3rd party app is the way to go. iMovie is really for assembling short clips into a movie.

Geoff.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2014 6:09 AM in response to john67

No, the playhead time position cannot be displayed in iMovie10.

If you only want to split a movie into parts and not do other editing then Quicktime 7, Quicktime 10 (the version that came with Mavericks) or your suggested 3rd party app is the way to go. iMovie is really for assembling short clips into a movie.

Geoff.

Feb 1, 2015 12:29 PM in response to john67

Guys I just cannot believe what I am reading and how quietly and nicely you are taking this issue... not showing the time on a timeline is UNBELIEVABLE and ridiculous to say the least... me too, like John67, I want to divide a long video AND do some editing with transitions etc... I noted down all the timings where I want to cuts to be and then... surprise, I don't know where I am when I scroll the cursor over the film... in-cre-di-ble... I also wasted lots of hours (I cannot believe the preference menu is just showing two nearly useless options). I am going to try to write to apple about this, please do the same and let's hope they'll fix it. It seems to me that nobody tried to use iMovie after they upgraded it... Huge disappointment...

Feb 1, 2015 1:23 PM in response to solista73

I've now moved on to Final Cut Pro (probably just what Apple wanted) which I find very good and in many ways easier and more logical to use despite its much greater capabilities (including of course access to precise playhead position). iMovie 10 is a very cut down version of this. I must admit that personally I never found the need to know the precise playhead position but I'm surprised it was decided to leave it out.

I suggest cutting the movie into pieces as I indicated in my previous post then importing the pieces into iMovie to join and add transitions etc.

Geoff.

Mar 6, 2015 6:15 AM in response to john67

Ok, I had this problem just today and I came over here for help but realised I wasn't the only one but just then my EURAKA moment happened! Its there all this while and I have been missing it! The clip trimmer is also the time line stamp! So here is how I have just used it. I start to drag my video from the end using the yellow holder trimmer and the video length in time appears. The actual length upper on the whole clip and the split clip length on top top of the moving trimmer. I simply stopped at the time I needed to split at on the full clip time stamp and saved. I needed to split in to three small movies to I came back and this moved from the trimmer from the beginning to the mid-portion where my next video should start and then moved the end trimmer back to the desired length and so on. Now all done and uploading to youtube!

I hope this helps!!!

Can't display time position on playhead

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.