Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best Internal Hard Drive Update for Macbook Pro 13" early 2011?

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone could give me their opinon as to what might be the best hard drive to update on for a Macbook Pro 13" early 2011 model. My budget is about $100, and i'm looking to increase the size of my current hard drive (which is a 320gb hard drive). I know that SSD are out of my budget range as anything even reasonably priced only gives me about 200+ gb of memory. I'm wondering if anyone has had any particular experience with the Seagate 1TB solid state hybrid drive (found here: http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Solid-Hybrid-2-5-Inch-ST1000LM014/dp/B00B99JUBQ). It boasts SSD-like speeds at a fraction of the cost, and its right around my budget, but perhaps its too good to be true? I saw the other thread about this hard drive question, but it didn't seem like anyone had any personal experience with it.

Anyways, just wondering if this one here is a truly a good deal, or if anyone has any better suggestions? Thanks in advance!!!

********P.S. Just as a side note, I'm wanting to increase the storage on my computer because i'm wanting to use bootcamp to install windows, and I want an ample amount of space to store movies, games, pictures and music. Not sure if this is even relevant, but i'm wanting to start doing a little bit of beginners programming stuff, so i want to make sure that i'll have enough empty space on my hard drive to do whatever it is i need to do. As it is, I've got about 62gb in movies, 81gb in photos, 41gb in music and 14gb in apps.....I'm really pushing the limits of my storage......*****************

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1333 MH

Posted on Feb 6, 2014 11:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2014 3:39 AM

If you search these forums for that model number, you'll find a lot of the folks here speak pretty highly of that drive. It seems to be a good compromise between an HD and SSD.

2 replies

Feb 7, 2014 3:49 AM in response to rchu89

rchu89 wrote:

I'm wondering if anyone has had any particular experience with the Seagate 1TB solid state hybrid drive (found here: http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Solid-Hybrid-2-5-Inch-ST1000LM014/dp/B00B99JUBQ). It boasts SSD-like speeds at a fraction of the cost, and its right around my budget, but perhaps its too good to be true?

I have two of those Seagate SSHDs, using one as the internal drive in my primary MBP. Boot and shutoff times are dramatically less than before (using 7200 rpm HGST HDDs). In other respects, I have no complaints regarding the drive performance. I can recommend them based on my limited experience (~3 months). The $99 price does look very attractive.

Note that when you install a HDD of larger capacity in a MBP, it should be reflected in your backup strategy. Do you have a backup drive to accommodate the additional data that you will be able to store on the new internal HDD?

Ciao.

Best Internal Hard Drive Update for Macbook Pro 13" early 2011?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.