Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I determine how many events are in my calendars?

The web version of my iCloud Calendar and subsequently also my Calendar.app did show recently various malfunctions and error messages that were inconsistant. Also, Calendar.app crashed when I was editing events. Finally, Calendar.app did complain that my iCloud account would be out of quota, and did direct me to this KB article:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4489

I did not know about these quotas before which are not really high and quite limiting for use over longer periods of time. After checking them, I think that my real data are below these limits. However, there might be one exception:

- Total number of calendars, events, and reminders: 25,000

25,000 sounds a lot, but when you devide by 6 events per day (which is easily reached if you combine family and buisness, and maybe repeated events also count for each repetition at least after editing), one ends up at 4200 days which is not much more than 11 years. I am using Calendar with data since the year 2000 (for some time I used Palm Desktop that took over the (very) old Mac Calendar application and imported/moved the data when iCloud Calendar became available).

My questions:

- how can I determine the number of events in my calendars?

- which events do count in which way for the quota limit?

- what about events from shared calenders - do they count if owned by another account?

- what about repeated events which are partially edited?

Thanks in advance for any hint!

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Feb 7, 2014 7:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2014 4:17 AM

Hi there

I ran into the same problem last year. The solution I used is available here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1693875

Apple don't seem keen to tell you you've reached your limit and if you think that isn't helpful tough luck. I reached due to duplicate events being created. I didn't know what had happened until I eqnuired further on the above forum. Someone needs to create an event counter application. Perhaps they have. Would need to do a search.

However I've now reached the limit again and I'm not sure why, cue more faffing around being required. That's one of the problems of using a Mac computer with an Android phone.

As for the limit, it exists and if you dont like it you need to change the way you work not Apple. That's the impression I get. Alternatively use something else that has more generious limts. I don't know what that would be. I did consider moving my calendars to Google but it would have meant certain functionality would not work in BusyCal, the third part calendar application I use on my Mac computer.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2014 4:17 AM in response to bwadma

Hi there

I ran into the same problem last year. The solution I used is available here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1693875

Apple don't seem keen to tell you you've reached your limit and if you think that isn't helpful tough luck. I reached due to duplicate events being created. I didn't know what had happened until I eqnuired further on the above forum. Someone needs to create an event counter application. Perhaps they have. Would need to do a search.

However I've now reached the limit again and I'm not sure why, cue more faffing around being required. That's one of the problems of using a Mac computer with an Android phone.

As for the limit, it exists and if you dont like it you need to change the way you work not Apple. That's the impression I get. Alternatively use something else that has more generious limts. I don't know what that would be. I did consider moving my calendars to Google but it would have meant certain functionality would not work in BusyCal, the third part calendar application I use on my Mac computer.

Jun 1, 2014 5:08 AM in response to infobleep

I've now found an even easier way to do this. There is an Apple script which will count events in a calendar:

http://macscripter.net/viewtopic.php?id=38725

You will find the Apple script editor under the utilities folder in your applications folder.

Once it opens just pasted in the script text. Change the calendar name to the name of the one you wish to count.

Then click the run button in the toolbar. It will count the number of events. It may take some time to do this. Counting my call log calendar returned 22410 events.

I had problems previously with duplicate events appear in my call log calendar. This problem may have returned, hence why I counted that calendar first.

It may not solve you hitting the limit but you might have a better idea of which calendars are leading you to hit the limit most. This is assuming you use multiple calendars.

Jun 1, 2014 7:24 AM in response to infobleep

Hi "infobleep",

*many* thanks for the hint to that really simple AppleScript! I used it and got quickly some numbers for individual Calendars. These scripts can help solving the problem, but since I have a number of Calendars this is a bit time-consuming, and it requires Excel (or Numbers) to add up the results (unless someone familiar with AppleScript optimises the script - I was only able to duplicate the row with the count command several times, added all my Calendar names and watched the events output in "AppleScript Editor").

It would REALLY be nice if there would an App that would do the job in a flexible way. I will search for such an App, but maybe someone outthere knows an App that does the job? Ideally, all the limits set by

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4489

would be checked for one or several iCloud accounts (or even local data).

How can I determine how many events are in my calendars?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.