Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

if i reinstrall mac os (snow lepord) will i loose my files,i have no backup and i mac wont start , safe mode never gets past spinning loading icon and i left it all night

if i reinstrall mac os (snow lepord) will i loose my files,or will a new partition be created?

some info,

i have no backup and my imac wont start , safe mode never gets past spinning loading icon and i left it all night yesterday,

when i used disk utility when booting from the install disk im told the "disk is damaged " but the repair utility wont run sand tells me to back up etc....

i cant make a new partition , and i cant make an image

please help

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 7, 2014 8:24 AM

4 replies

Feb 7, 2014 12:28 PM in response to reudebimmer

I fully agree with BDAqua.

Don't do anything with this Mac until you have an external disk which you can boot your Mac from.

Not all USB disks are easy to boot from - FireWire is better

When you have a suitable empty external disk I advise:

1. Put install DVD into damaged Mac
  2. partitioning external disk into 2 volumes
  3. install OS onto one volume of external disk
  4. Don't import anything during install process - it may reintroduce historic problems
  5. Boot external disk
  6. Use finder to copy critical data from Mac to volume of external disk with OS
  7. Use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the whole Mac hard disk to the other external volume
  8. Boot into installer DVD and erase Mac's internal disk
  9. Partition internal disk into 2 volumes and install OSs as required

if i reinstrall mac os (snow lepord) will i loose my files,i have no backup and i mac wont start , safe mode never gets past spinning loading icon and i left it all night

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.