Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Re-installation of itunes - relocation of music. Help, help, help

I had the .dll issue so I needed to unstall-reinstall itunes as per directions supplied.

At the same time, I needed to move my music to an external drive due to lack of space on my laptop.

I backed up & moved my music by dragging the folder to my ext. hard drive.

After installation of itunes, I tried to lauch it, holding down the shift key in order to direct it to my ext h.d.

All that happend was that the following folders all opened up in this order, My Shared Folder, Temp, my computer, toshiba ext. h.d. I get no messages from itunes.

itunes does not lauch. I am afraid to try to open itunes without holding the shift key as I have not removed the music from my c drive. I assume upon launching that is where it will go to look for a libarary? Don't know the ramifications of that.

I have beeen at this all week & hope someone can take pity on me & send my in the right direction.....pretty please.

Windows XP

Posted on Feb 7, 2014 8:56 AM

1 reply

Feb 7, 2014 9:26 AM in response to annaleefromns

See Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates to fix the iTunes installation.

To move the library to a new drive you need to copy the entire iTunes folder from the normal User's Music folder to the root of the other drive, e.g. as X:\iTunes where X: is the drive letter. You then click the icon to start iTunes and immediately press and hold down the shift key. Keep holding until prompted to Choose or Create a library. Click choose and browse to the file X:\iTunes\iTunes Library.itl - the library should open normally.

tt2

Re-installation of itunes - relocation of music. Help, help, help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.