Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4s sending texts as iMessage (not SMS) to non-iPhones

My best friend recently switched from an iPhone to a Galaxy S4, and ever since then I have had to manually press "Send as SMS" whenever I send her texts because it still tries to send them as iMessages. My MacBook Pro recognizes that her phone cannot recieve iMessages anymore, and in a group text that we are both in (All iPhones except for hers) some of the phones automatically started sending messages as texts and some did not. She already switched off iMessage on her old iPhone. "Send as SMS when iMessage is not available" is switched on on my phone. I don't understand what is going wrong! Any tips?

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Feb 7, 2014 11:08 AM

1 reply

Feb 7, 2014 11:33 AM in response to Katie_Castle

You're friend needs to come back to apple - android is not so good 🙂

Joking aside, my partner went to android s3 mini. It took me all night to get her imessage to switch off. I had to delete her device from here - https://supportprofile.apple.com/

I also had to switch her imessage off on her phone.

It took me a few attempts at setting up her imessage on an iphone and registering the device against her account, then turnong off imessage and unregistering it.

After several attempts at activating / deactivating, registering etc, it worked. You need ..

Your own iphone to send the message (imessage enabled)

A spare iphone with any working sim inserted and set up with your friends itunes / icloud accounts. - to activate / deactivate imessage and to see if the message is sent/received as imessage - when you've fixed it - the iphone wont recieve anything.

Your friends s4 with sim card inserted and active. - so you can see when its fixed.

That fixed it for me.

Then 3 months later she bought another iphone!!

Found this - which reminds me - i had to remove her phone number from the send & receive settings on the ipad imessage settings and turn imessage off on her ipad also!!!

Additional Information

Unlink a phone number

To remove a phone number from an Apple ID, sign out of FaceTime and Messages on your iPhone:

• Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. Tap your Apple ID, then tap Sign Out.
  • Settings > FaceTime. Tap your Apple ID, then tap Sign Out.

This should remove your phone number from other devices using the same Apple ID with FaceTime and Messages. If the phone number is still available on other devices after you sign out of FaceTime and iMessage on the iPhone, you may need to sign out of iMessage and FaceTime on all your devices, then sign in to FaceTime and Messages again on devices you want to use.

Note: If you no longer have access to the iPhone that is using the number you want to remove, reset your Apple ID password.

iPhone 4s sending texts as iMessage (not SMS) to non-iPhones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.