Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change movie dimensions in iMovie 10?

Hi, I'm finding this new version of iMovie very frustrating. All I want to do is change the movie dimensions to 480 x 480, a square movie. However, after searching for over an hour, I still can't figure out how this is done in iMovie 10. The cropping tool doesn't let me change the aspect ratio to square. Is there a way to do this, or was this another useful feature removed?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), 27", 3.4 GHz, 16 GB RAM, NVIDIA 680

Posted on Feb 7, 2014 12:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2014 11:05 PM

The only way that you can change the size of the video/movie is when you export/share your project

Go to share:

User uploaded file

Go To File:

User uploaded file

Go to Size:

User uploaded file

More tutorials on iMovie here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqW8Lq9MUAk

15 replies

Apr 11, 2014 9:03 PM in response to Karsten Schlüter

Hello Karsten Schlueter,

Thank you for your advice on 'MPEG Streamclip' being able to "crop, squeeze and export to any resolution you like".

Where do I find these wonderful menu options in the MPEG Streamclip 1.9.2 Menu bar/Drop menus, please? Despite many efforts to get to these menu options, I have always been unable to locate them.

Gratefully, Ranger 1.

Apr 11, 2014 11:25 PM in response to paulranger1

paulranger1 wrote:

... Where do I find these wonderful menu options in the MPEG Streamclip 1.9.2 Menu bar/Drop menus, please? ...

After opening your iMovie-export, you first have to decide mov or mp4 or whatever under 'Export as (here: Quicktime)'

User uploaded file

You then get promped the Option dialog:

User uploaded file

here you can dig into options.. resolutions, even 'free' ones (as 480x480), you can zoom-in, change the x/y aspect ratio, crop etc etc...

User uploaded file

in the beginning, it needs some trial'n error to find out, what button has which effect. Don't start with you 2h Hollywood project, render a minor 7sec clip for test-purposes. Write notes, what you've set where. Make use of Streamclips Preview feature. Finally, you can save and use your own Presets.

not sooo Mac-like in its GUI (=I'm more used to 'handles', or 'pic buttons' for example), but an incredible tool, #1 on my list. And for free! ...

Apr 16, 2014 6:34 PM in response to TomNYC

Lieber Karsten Schlueter (I don't know how to type an umlaut on my Mac keyboard, sorry),

Danke sehr for your generous advice re 'MPEG Streamclip's video converting and dimension changing capabilities. I once opened the dialogue window you showed when I accidently pressed "CMD SHIFT E" when trying to take a screen shot, while 'MPEG Streamclip' was the active application. As it was not the desired action at that time, I did not investigate the potentials on offer.

I apologise for my late response to your kind reply but I have been preoccupied with the final illness/passing of my beloved, little dog 'Bubby'. Einschuldigen Sie mich, bitte.

Following earlier advice on the subject of altering a video clip's dimensions, I downloaded 'iMovie' Ver. 10.0 as it is no longer included in OS X Mavericks installation. Is Apple more closely following Microsoft's commercial/profit ethos with each new OS X release, or is it my imagination?

Again, due to my recent preoccupation, I will need to investigate the intricacies of iMovie capabilities to manipulate video formats, output capabilities etc. at some stage.

Schoenen dank for your welcome assistance. Hoping you are welll, I remain

Yours sincerely, PaulRanger 1.

Apr 17, 2014 2:18 AM in response to paulranger1

paulranger1 wrote:

.. Is Apple more closely following Microsoft's commercial/profit ethos with each new OS X release, or is it my imagination?..

getting off-topic here, but, .. wrong impression:

iMovie was never part of the OS, nor OS-updates/upgrades! Always sold individually, upgrades (flat numbers, vers.3/4/5/6/08/09...) always cost, part of iLIfe, since AppStore single app to buy.

reg. MS: you get iWorks (Numbers, Pages, Keynote) for free, you got the latest iLife apps updates (if qualified) for free, you got a whole OS upgrade for free... MS = you have to rent (!!) their products! Anything you write in latest Office will not be usefull in 5y, if you quit to pay your anual fee... 😠 Windows 7 >> 8 = $$$ etc.

Sad to hear about your dog ...

finally: try opt-u while typing my name 😉

Apr 19, 2014 11:18 PM in response to Karsten Schlüter

Hello Karsten,

I thank you for your response to my earlier questions and erroneous allegations re Apple’s current marketing philosophy. I was mislead by reading members' comments on other Mac support forums that iMovie had once been integral to an OS X installation. I apologise for any perceived, derogatory comments that were seen to be aimed at Apple.

My frustration with continuing OS X operational difficulties (massive data loss, folder and/or folder content disappearence, system instability, increasing loss of confidence in OS X) since I was forced to install Mavericks 10.9.2 (10.9.1 had installed worked fine) may have tinged my negative response.

I thank you for your kind sentiments concerning my little dog.

Being over the Easter period, I will withhold further contact attempts to Apple support until Easter Tuesday. Until that time, my iMac is almost unusable.

Again, thank you for your responses.

Sincerely, Paul Ranger 1.

How to change movie dimensions in iMovie 10?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.