Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mavericks Messages problem sending message: "not registered with iMessage"

I'm on MacBook Air(MBA) and recently installed Mavericks. I try sending a message from MBA MESSAGES to a person's cell phone number (they have an android phone). Their name appears in red and I get: "...is not registered with iMessage." So I was trying to read discussions in here and allot of them say Messages won't work unless a person has an Apple device- iphone, Mac, etc. I want to know if that is true or if there is any other way to send from the MBA a message to them? I also tried from Messages on MBA to their gmail address, which they use on their android cell phone, and get same error.

Is there anyway a non-apple person can "register with iMessage" if they have an android phone?

I know I can email them, but I wanted a fast way for emergency purposes to get a MESSAGE to them from my MBA. Sometimes they can't talk on phone at some times, but are allowed to get instant message for emergency where they work.

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 7, 2014 12:33 PM

12 replies

Feb 7, 2014 2:04 PM in response to Strgzr

Hi,

The iOS version can have SMS turned On as well as the iMessages option.

This will then send SMS (And receive) from other types on phones that don't use iOS.

iMessages is strictly Apple based.

It can using iPhone Numbers or Apple IDs to Login and "call" between the users.

The iPhones will only Receive and Send iMessages if they are WiFi - and will only send SMS replacements if it is enabled.

Macs have the Messages app in Mountain Lion and Maverick computers.

These will send SMS to iPhones but it seems not to other phones (there is no setting for SMS as such).

It seems in some cases it will "convert" to SMS at the iMessages servers.

Having said that if the person is on one of these carriers (only in the United States) you can Add the phone number as a Buddy to an AIM Buddy List.

You have to add the +1 lead number even though it only works for the States (As in +1234567890)

Your AIM Buddy List in Messages can then get SMS to IM messages in return.

User uploaded file

10:04 pm Friday; February 7, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Feb 7, 2014 7:04 PM in response to Strgzr

Well, this is Mavericks discussions but, anyway.

I put you a photo, showing it, and you didn't see it, i wrote it and you couldn't read it.

So i write it another time. Hope you read it now:

3rd option in the Messages menu: Add account...

User uploaded file

In the photo it's marked in blue.

If it it's not there in 10.8.5, alternatively you can go to Preferences (2nd option) of the Messages menu, and see Accounts tab, push the ( + ).

Feb 8, 2014 10:08 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Ralph (and el_m.., if you mean the "add account-AOL" for "AIM" then I tried and get "an unknown error occurred". I DO still have AIM account, and went online and can sign in, but when I put same thing in Mavericks AOL boxes, it seems not to recognize me. One problem is the boxes it asks for are different than the sign-on at AIM website. I tried both choices for "NAME" with same email address and password and get error mentioned above.

AIM.com signon says "username or email" and "password" where this Mavericks asks for "name, emaila address and password", thus what does it want for NAME, the "name" I go by after signed in or the "username" I can sign in with on web site? Anyway, I tried both, and got error.

Feb 8, 2014 10:26 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

OK, FINALLY GOT TO WORK-YIPPEE! HERE is what I had to do after got error I mentioned above:

Mavericks- Messages- under top left "Messages" name I found "ADD ACCOUNT", then INSTEAD OF HITTING AOL (which I tho't was for AIM= AOL INSTANT MESSENGER), INSTEAD I chose the one at bottom of list: "OTHER MESSAGES ACCOUNT", then hit CONTINUE, then in THERE, I left the ACCOUNT TYPE as AIM, and put in my AIM USERNAME AND PASSWORD and "CREATE" and it CONNECTED, and I was able to send my friend on their android phone messages from my desktop MAVERICKS-MESSAGES! YIPPEE!!😁

And both of you got me started there, so THANK YOU Ralph and el_mancebo!

P.S. FYI: If anyone needs an AIM acct to make this work, go to AIM.COM and hit SIGN UP, then can SIGN IN on MESSAGES on MAVERICKS, and connect to persons with android cell phones. 😁😀🙂 Oh yes, I did have to put +1 before the area code and number in this format: +1 (xxx) xxx-xxxx

Feb 8, 2014 12:32 PM in response to el_mancebo

For Others.

User uploaded file

AOL is AIM as AIM means Aol Instant Messenger.

Whereas earlier version of Messages (those in Mountain Lion at the time of writing) and iChat show Jabber as a separate option

User uploaded file

See also these iChat 3 pics for adding a Google account (had to be under Jabber at that time as no separate Google option).

User uploaded file

8:32 pm Saturday; February 8, 2014

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Feb 8, 2014 1:04 PM in response to Strgzr

Hi,

You have to have otr get an AIM or AIM valid name.

AIM stands for Aol Instant Messenger.

Apple IDs issued by Apple (Those ending in @mac.com or iCloud issued @me.com and @icloud.com) are valid as AIM Screen Names if the password is kept to 16 characters or less. (this is an AIM server limit)

Apple made an Agreement with AOL over the use of names over 10 years ago.

The Original .Mac ID (@mac.com) could be paid for or could be Trial Accounts.

Trial Accounts continued to work after the trial ran out. (i.e. the email stopped but the AIM Screen Name didn't).

The same was true of lapsed accounts.

When MobileMe started people could link, email-wise, their paid for .Mac accounts to the paid for MobileMe (@me.com) accounts.

Any @mac.com still works over the AIM service.

Now also @Me.com names worked - meaning some people had two valid AIM names - they are not liked for use with AIM just that the passwords will be the same.

With the end of MobileMe all those @me.com account died as far as AIM is concerned.

However you could link it to iCloud which effectively moved it to the iCloud server.

(i.e. they are iCloud issued @me.com ID instead of MobileMe ones)

Then Apple started to issue @icloud.com IDs

This could mean that some people have three working IDs for use with AIM (but all linked to one email Account at Apple).

NOTES

From Lion onwards (iChat 6 and Above) Apple have had the app also login in to Apple before it will allow the AIM Servers to "read" the password.

This applies to any iCloud issued ID - the "newer" iCloud linked @Me.com and @iCloud.com IDs

This means you cannot use those IDs in iChat 5 or earlier as those version only do an one point login only.

With the coming of iCloud other Apple IDs could be linked to iCloud which may have given you either @me.com and later an @iCloud.com ID as well or just an @icloud one if you were later to the party as it were.

Whilst in some cases this does give you two valid AIM Screen Name the originating Apple ID does not become one.

User uploaded file

9:04 pm Saturday; February 8, 2014

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Mavericks Messages problem sending message: "not registered with iMessage"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.