Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I get Windows 7 or 8 for my Macbook Pro 13" early 2011

Hey All,

I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice what which version of Windows I should get. My plan is that I wanted to learn some beginning program stuff that might (in the future) progress into more advanced computer programming. I decided for myself that it would be best to start learning on Windows software, but I didn't feel the need to purchase an entirely brand new computer since my macbook pro is so great.

I've been reading on bootcamp stuff, and it seems as though bootcamp does not yet support windows 8.1 (which would have been my first choice). Since I cannot currently use 8.1, what might be the next best solution? Should I just go with the supported windows 8 and just wait to update to 8.1 when bootcamp finally supports it? Or should I perhaps go the safer route and go with the 64 bit version of Windows 7 (which I heard was still good as far as windows goes).

I'm hesitant on the Windows 8 option becasue I had heard a lot of complaints about it, and I don't know how long it would be until Apple updates Bootcamp to support it. My only fear with the Windows 7 option is that it will become outdated much faster than previous versions of windows (just because it seems like there was a big jump from windows 7 to windows 8).

Any thoughts would be helpful. Any specific insight as to which version might be better for me to learn computer programming on is a definite plus. The specs for my mac should be listed below, but I'm also planning on upgrading to a Seagate 1TB solid state hybrid drive SATA 6Gbps 64MB Cache 2.5-inch ST000LM014. Also, I have an Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB.

Thanks!!!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1333 MH

Posted on Feb 7, 2014 12:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2014 12:41 PM

Recommend you stick to Win 7. It's more compatible with Mac hardware.

6 replies

Should I get Windows 7 or 8 for my Macbook Pro 13" early 2011

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.