Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anywhere to get Pages 09 now?

I am a heavy user of Pages 09. I have a copy on both of my computers. I also work with outsourcers. Currently, they have Pages 09.

However, I imagine it will get harder to find outsourcers who have Pages 09 already installed. Is there a place new users can get a version if they don't already have it?

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Feb 7, 2014 2:17 PM

15 replies

Feb 7, 2014 5:26 PM in response to graemefromqc

"Is there a place new users can get a version(of Pages '09) if they don't already have it?"

Besides Amazon, try eBay, or the local equivalent, for box sets of iWork '09, which includes Pages, Numbers and Keynote.

After installation, use Software Update to check for updates before running the application.

Regards,

Barry

Feb 7, 2014 7:07 PM in response to graemefromqc

They reintroduced a few things in Pages 5.1 but also a swag of bugs.

One of the worst is not being able to open its own files periodically and reporting that it needs a newer version.

Amazingly Pages 5.01 can not open Pages 5.1 files either.

We can look forward to this endless succession of incompatibilities as Apple tries to fix this mess of its own creation.

I don't know where Apple thinks it can get away with virtually forcing its users onto beta software, but lie to them by claiming it is a huge improvement when it is definitively not.

I do hope users have now understood WHY it is not a good idea to rely on Apple, its iCloud syncing and auto-updating. DO NOT let Apple handle YOUR affairs. It is NOT interested in your welfare, one jot!

Peter

Feb 7, 2014 7:30 PM in response to graemefromqc

Probably the most direct solution is either MsOffice on PC or Mac.

Have a good look at LibreOffice [free] it is getting very, very good.

I had this summary in another post:

LibreOffice 4.2 [free] is developing very nicely and works with open file standards and has a respect for older formats.

It is developed by users for users and the developers certainly keep them foremost in their considerations. Being non-commercial they do not have the same management pressures for "new", "improved" features and product churn. They are constantly working on converting more legacy file formats such as AppleWorks, ClarisWorks, WordPerfect etc. It will even import pdf files.

It comes in Windows, Mac and Linux versions and does not have heavy hardware or OS requirements. The Mac version still works with Snow Leopard and there are prior versions available for older systems.

It's language support is leagues ahead of Apple's, and contains Word Processing, Spreadsheet, Drawing, Maths, Presentation & Database. It supports both rtf and odf files ensuring they can be opened in the future.

It supports right to left languages such as Arabic and Hebrew, correctly, including inserted left to right languages. Also Hindi, Thai, Chinese, Japanese and Korean, with dictionaries for most languages.

It has clip-art, a Template Centre and an Extension Centre to give it added functionality.

It also has a mobile version, so you can keep it on a USB drive and use it anywhere.

The project is working on iOS and Android versions as well, hopefully not relying on Apple's unreiable iCloud.

Whilst it lacks some of the polish of Pages in some areas, it far exceeds Pages in ultimate usability and durability.

Most of all it has a future, undivorced from its past files.

Peter

Anywhere to get Pages 09 now?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.