Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone is sending text messages to people who have iPhones but is receieving iMessages?

When I'm texting a certain person, my messages I send to them is a text message however when I receive a text their message is an iMessage. How can I fix this so my messages are sent as iMessages? Ps my other messages to other people send as iMessages.

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Feb 7, 2014 3:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2014 7:51 AM

Hello LukeSkelton,

The following steps can help resolve most issues you may have with sending or receiving iMessages.

To resolve issues with sending and receiving iMessages, follow these steps first

1. Check iMessage system status for current service issues.
  2. Go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive and make sure that you have registered iMessage with your phone number or Apple ID and that you have selected iMessage for use. Learn more about troubleshooting iMessage registration if the phone number or Apple ID isn't available for use.
  3. Open Safari and navigate to www.apple.com to verify data connectivity. Learn more about troubleshootingcellular data or a Wi-Fi connection if a data connection isn't available.
  4. iMessage over cellular data might not be available while on a call. Only 3G and faster GSM networks support simultaneous data and voice calls. Learn more about which network your phone supports. Go to Settings > Wi-Fi and turn Wi-Fi on to use iMessage while on a call if your network doesn't support simultaneous data and voice calls.
  5. Restart your device.
  6. Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings on your iPhone.

If you are still unable to send or receive an iMessage, follow these steps

1. Make sure that the contact trying to message you isn't blocked in Settings > Messages > Blocked.
  2. Verify that the contact you are attempting to send a message to is registered with iMessage.
  3. If the issue occurs with a specific contact or contacts, back up or forward important messages and delete your current messaging threads with the contact. Create a new message to the contact and try again.
  4. If the issue occurs with a specific contact or contacts, delete and re-create the contact in the Contacts application. Create a new message to the newly created contact and try again.
  5. Back up and restore your device as new.

iOS: Troubleshooting Messages

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2755

Cheers,

Allen

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2014 7:51 AM in response to LukeSkelton

Hello LukeSkelton,

The following steps can help resolve most issues you may have with sending or receiving iMessages.

To resolve issues with sending and receiving iMessages, follow these steps first

1. Check iMessage system status for current service issues.
  2. Go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive and make sure that you have registered iMessage with your phone number or Apple ID and that you have selected iMessage for use. Learn more about troubleshooting iMessage registration if the phone number or Apple ID isn't available for use.
  3. Open Safari and navigate to www.apple.com to verify data connectivity. Learn more about troubleshootingcellular data or a Wi-Fi connection if a data connection isn't available.
  4. iMessage over cellular data might not be available while on a call. Only 3G and faster GSM networks support simultaneous data and voice calls. Learn more about which network your phone supports. Go to Settings > Wi-Fi and turn Wi-Fi on to use iMessage while on a call if your network doesn't support simultaneous data and voice calls.
  5. Restart your device.
  6. Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings on your iPhone.

If you are still unable to send or receive an iMessage, follow these steps

1. Make sure that the contact trying to message you isn't blocked in Settings > Messages > Blocked.
  2. Verify that the contact you are attempting to send a message to is registered with iMessage.
  3. If the issue occurs with a specific contact or contacts, back up or forward important messages and delete your current messaging threads with the contact. Create a new message to the contact and try again.
  4. If the issue occurs with a specific contact or contacts, delete and re-create the contact in the Contacts application. Create a new message to the newly created contact and try again.
  5. Back up and restore your device as new.

iOS: Troubleshooting Messages

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2755

Cheers,

Allen

Feb 10, 2014 1:56 PM in response to LukeSkelton

Hi,

I have seen this on my wife's iPhone.

I was trying to iMessages her from my Mac and it was saying her iPhone Number was "Not regsitered".

When I checked Messages was Off but SMS was still on.

There are two SMS spots.

One is "Send as SMS" (which it will if not Wifi or the Messages bit is Off)

Lower down is the SMS/MMS settings for receiving.

User uploaded file

9:56 pm Monday; February 10, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

My iPhone is sending text messages to people who have iPhones but is receieving iMessages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.