Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro retina display – pixelated programs, horrible and sad!

Hello,

Bought a new mac – have an iMac, and now the Macbook pro 15" retina display, since i'll move some time to another country.

When using some Adobe image programs, and Portrait Professional and so, I see the menus and sidebars all pixelated! And even images are less ok than seeing from Apple's applications. Even editing text. I made a search in google, and so many people are, since 2012, upset with the same problem. I understand it's the quantity of pixel/square, saw many websites of the same.

I feel so damm sad and twisted! We're talking about 2,049€, and not a pair of shoes.

Is there anyway to use like in "non-retina" quality for several programs? Or resolve the problem?

I'm thinking in 2 days if I'll ask for return product... It's impossible to work in image/photo and graphic design with this situation.

Thank you

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Feb 7, 2014 4:06 PM

10 replies

Feb 7, 2014 4:35 PM in response to patriciafromprt

Patricia, Welcome to the discussions.

It would help us all a lot if you were more specific. Many of us use Adobe Programs without any issues.

We need to know the year of your Macbook Pro the size of the hard drive, the amount of Ram the Operating System. We also need the Adobe Programs the versions some from different versions if they were not kept up to date could be a problem. So the more information you can give the easier it will be to diagnose the problem.

Cheers

Don

Feb 7, 2014 4:59 PM in response to Donald Morgan

Hello Donald,

Macbook Pro, retina display, 15".

2.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor with 6MB shared L3 cache.

8GB of 1600MHz DDR3L onboard memory.

256GB storage.

Intel Iris Pro Graphics.

OS X MAVERICK.

$1999 / 2.049eur.

Adobe Photoshop, inDesign and Illustrator CS5. Never gave me problems... Pixelated.

Probably the cloud edition CS6 is performed to retina display? Well, I cannot afford the cloud edition now...

Adobe Acrobat Pro think it's 10. Pixelated.

Portrait Professional 11. Pixelated.

Lightroom 5 is ok with retina display.

And some other programs I'll might use, but not now, for 3D editing and video. I'm afraid of not getting the HiDPI quality in several programs, while I can't wait 6 months or 1 year to developers "work on it"... My job is now, no later...

Thank you

Feb 7, 2014 5:47 PM in response to patriciafromprt

Hello Patricia,

I see you are using the old versions of the Adobe software. There is a new program called "Creative Cloud" and if you have a username and password, you can buy every optimised and up to date software frpm adobe, Like "photoshop CC", "inDesign CC", "Illustrator CC" etc. Heres some more info from Adobe:

http://www.adobe.com/CreativeCloud

I also have a doubt from one of your statements. The i5 processor only has 2.4 Ghz so the i7 is worse???

Hope this Helped. 🙂

Feb 9, 2014 2:44 PM in response to Macologist250

Thank you Macologist250.

Well, I could get the adobe creative cloud. But it seems that we, as costumers, are being forgot. For eg., if I buy a 3D TV, I know that they have the option to see tv channels and other movies in non-3D option. Not every movies and channels have to be up to date with the 3D system... The same should happen here. I have CS5, I know that it works in Maverick software, but the retina display distorts the way pixels are presented in the program menus. This is a fail, from my point of view. If I have 10 programs, not all are willing to move now to retina/HiDPI thing...

But I thank for the option of CC. The photoshop + Lightroom is a good and not expensive option. The all packager now.. Hmm...

The i5 for the 13" seems with better GHz than the i7 15". It seems really weird, I know...

I'm thinking of delivering this and have the 13" but upgrade version in apple store.

Unfortunately they don't sell now the 15" old one too as new...

Apr 7, 2014 12:28 AM in response to patriciafromprt

The new retina display of the macbook product line will require the third party to update their softeware to make them retina-compatible. Older version of apps are obviously lack of such feature. Similar issues as people move from original iPad to retina display equiped iPad 3rd gen.

ps. Adobe Acrobat 11 pro is not perfectly support retina display. Many users experienced serious performance issues on the retina macbook pros.

Jun 25, 2015 11:09 AM in response to patriciafromprt

I have to agree with you Patricia. I just purchased a retina display MackBookPro as well (13") and am seeing pixelation in Photoshop CS5, as well as Microsoft Office 2011. I detest that with every "upgrade" you're expected to shell out more money for programs that you've already purchased. How about a free patch to make it work? I don't need the new bells in whistles of Creative Cloud... I just want my programs to work as they had before The most egregious example of this is from Apple with Aperture. Purchased for close to $100, and on upgrading to Yosemite, it simply does not work. It's pixelated, you just can not open it. Done.

Imagine buying tires for your car, only to find that they no longer sell the rims. But when you buy new rims, you need new suspension. It sounds stupid and unbelievable in other situations. But why is it the norm with Apple? I am not sure if this is how PC's work as well... but it really puts a sour taste in my mouth.

Jun 25, 2015 4:14 PM in response to Eric D\'Amario

Well, when computer manufacturers introduce a new operating system, all the third party app developers/companies have to update their software to be compatible with the new OS. Some do that for quite some time; others do not. Their point is: they want to sell their software; so, rather than extending unlimited support and spending huge chunks of money to keep the old software compatible, they will simply not update it after a certain time period forcing you to buy a new updated version.

It's called marketing as this is a sales driven economy. And, that is also how the app store works. If you take the time to read the terms, you are literally only paying for the license to use the app and Apple or developer can pull their software any time.

My version of Aperture cost $300 (I have the retail version) and I am staying with Mavericks on my main iMac since Aperture as well as an older version of iMovie, iDVD, and a couple of others work well there. This iMac will most likely never be updated to anything newer unless I decide to forego one of my hobbies (video editing/burning to DVD).

May 19, 2016 9:35 PM in response to Eric D\'Amario

I'm going through the same issue right now. i had my macbook pro retina for year and half, photoshop worked perfectly fine, but for a month it is pixelated. it is very painful to spend 3300$ for the best laptop and still face issues where even 500$ laptop don't have. When i went to the Apple store, the genius told me "just buy the latest adobe" as if i'm loaded with money or as if its the right thing to do. I just feel it is so unfair to face such an issue. If i want to use cs5, it is my choice and this software is not old, it is still used by many worldwide. So, the fact i have to buy the new Adobe collection is bothering me a lot. I find this is unfair and not a smart move.

Macbook Pro retina display – pixelated programs, horrible and sad!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.