Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I download HD versions of my movies for play on iPad, when PC can't view HD?

Have a PC that stores my movies and music. It is not a fancy computer, and can't play HD movies.

How do I directly download the movies on my PC? iTunes doesn't give me the option to download the movie anyway, it just takes me to a page helping me understand why I can't watch it. I don't want to watch it on my computer, I want to have my computer do all the heavy lifting of downloading and storing my movies etc while I use my iPad and just rotate out what I want to watch when I am ready. Help!

I use my iPad all the time for actual work, so having it take time to download the movies to then Transfer purchases off into iTunes isn't practical.

PC: Vista Ultimate, 2nd Gen iPad w/3G, (won't be going to iOS 7 anytime soon) on last version of iOS 6

iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, Windows Vista, Vista Ultimate PC O/S

Posted on Feb 7, 2014 6:12 PM

3 replies

Mar 29, 2014 5:10 PM in response to LydiaMAC

I'm in the exact same boat.

I have slow internet, (2Mbps), far too slow to stream HD goodness (netflix is passable). So I have a PC running 24/7 with all my movies + music stored on itunes, then i homeshare it and use my main PC/iPad/iPod/AppleTV to access the media.

This is brilliant, since I can download an HD movie in around 4 hours, then flick my AppleTV to my view my homeshare and watch HD without any buffering or interuptions - it's ideal!

But the PC I use to store all this doesn't have HD playing capability itself, so it's a complete BALLACHE trying to get the movies on there to begin with to then share to all the other devices that CAN play HD.

Apple, all that is needed is a "Download anyway" button on that notice in the iTunes store saying "this computer cannot playback HD content" - Buy in SD, Learn why I can't watch it, or Cancel.

Please fix this!!

Apr 1, 2014 1:21 PM in response to Test4echoes

I've "fixed" this, in so much as a work-around.

Normally I remote desktop into my media PC, so it uses less space etc. However, by plugging in an HDCP monitor (any monitor made in the last 5-8 years should be fine), and keyboard + mouse and controlling the PC directly, it let me download the HD movie I bought.

I then unplugged the monitor/keyboard/mouse, and went and watched the movie on my AppleTV downstairs as normal.

I really hope I don't have to do this every time i buy a film. Surely Apple want to make it as EASY as possible for me to spend money in their iTunes film store? This needs a permanent solution!

How do I download HD versions of my movies for play on iPad, when PC can't view HD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.