Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gave up on a new iPad Air

That I had just purchased. As a veteran Apple user, this was a new experience. Out of the box it was problematic. Despite several calls to Apple when I tried to retore the iPad, it would never restore successfully. Once I was able to start it and go through the setup process, but it would freeze randomly and shutdown. A hard reset worked one time, but it would randomly shutdown until finally it could not be restarted. Repeated attempts to restore it failed. Multiple error messages appeared with "Unable to restore iPad."

Apple finally recommended it be replaced. So, it's on it's way back. And no doubt more problems are in the future because I was unable to wipe any of the settings and the location function off. I am having second thoughts about getting another, for the first experince really soured me on the iPad. My wife has had an iPad2 for a couple years and it is has been troublefree.

It's got me thinking maybe a Kindle Fire would have been a less troublesome choice.

Posted on Feb 7, 2014 7:29 PM

3 replies

Feb 7, 2014 10:47 PM in response to Thomas Hanrahan

We bought my fiancé an iPad 1st gen (2010?). Even being as slow and clunky as it was, we really liked it. I hoped that Apple would eventually slim it down. A Retina screen was sorely lacking as well. Eventually, this iPad Air came along. Much lighter, thinner and faster than any iPad before it. It's a marvelous piece of kit.

That being said, I had a lot of trouble with my iPad Air when I brought it home. I tried setting it up how I have always set up an iPhone, I selected "Restore From an iTunes Backup". I thought this would create a clone of my iPhone 5. Little did I know that my iTunes remembered my old iPad 1 and crammed my new iPad with antiquated apps. Even some iPhone apps found their way onto the new iPad. It nearly ground to a halt. I did a full Restore.

I made some adjustments and tried again. I managed to mess it up even more. Eventually, I did it right. I selected "Set Up As New" I carefully installed one thing at a time. Now, my iPad Air is perfect and runs well. I've never been so happy with an iPad,

I thought it was all Apple's fault. Turned out it was entirely Operator Error. I sincerely hope that you only received a bad unit. Please see about having it set up wt an Apple Store if you can and if not - set it up as new in iTunes. Carefully select what you want sync'd and take your time setting it up.

Hope this helps...

Gave up on a new iPad Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.