Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Startup failed after having applied all steps of recovery but before re-installing the system

After a forced startup due to a wifi connection issue, the startup stays stuck with a grey screen, Apple logo and turning spinning indicator.

Then I tried all the following solutions:

(1) Startup in Safe mode: failed

(2) Reset the NVRAM: failed

(3) Checking disk and files with the disk utility of the recovery disk: failed. The disk check was successful and the permissions check revealed some inconsistencies but all have been repaired successfully. Startup on the recovery disk was successful.

Then I started in Single User Mode and followed some guidelines found on Apple pages and various forums.

(1) I reach a #root prompt after "hfs: mounted Macintosh HD on device root_device, XPCM: registered and Root device is mounted read-only" and an alternative suggested between modifying files and continue booting process.

(2) I applied /sbin/fsck_hfs -fy. It finished with ** The volume Macintosh HD seems to be OK ** and ***** The volume was modified *****

(3) I applied /sbin/mount -uv /. It finished with /dev/disk0s2 on / (hfs. local. journaled)

(4) I applied launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.opendirectoryd.plist. It answered "Couldn't stat <plist> No such file or directory. Nothing found to load"

I read somewhere that the previous error message could be ignored in some situation, but it was impossible for me to determine if it was the cas here. I went into dscl(1) as the issue seemed to come from Open Directories. I stayed in the interactive mode as I'm not expert to take the risk of modifying the files and I was not sure of which files to check.

(1) The answer was the same than the previous error message indicated above: "nothing found to load"

(2) A ls command answers "ls: DS error: eServer error; <dscl_cmd> DS Error: -14910 (eServer error;)

(3) I exited the dscl interactive mode to come back at the #root prompt.

(3) Through the command line I changed the current directory to look at files in /System/Library/LaunchDaemons. All files are there, with dates, size and permissions.

(4) Some things surprised me. When asking a simple cd not followed by options the return is "-sh: -cd: HOME not set". Maybe this is due to the Single User startup mode? The other one is that when I ask cd .. Whatever could be the current directory position in the tree I get "-sh: -cd: No such file or directory"

(5) I then tried to open a plist to check its content with plutil -convert xml1 <file name> as I was in the LaunchDaemons directory. I first tried with another file, like com.apple.newsyslog.plist. It returns "file doesn't not exists or is not readable or is not a regular file". The same answer is returned for the opendirectoryd.plist file. Files of this directory are all date as of Sep 23, probably the date where the system was installed when I bought the MBP, the size of opendirectoryd.plist file is 698 ko and authorisations are -rw-r--r--

(6) I tried also to open one of my files in the user directories as this error message was maybe due that they were system files. But I had the same answer with a plist I built myself and I was sure to be valid as it's used by XCode in my developments.

I'm now stuck there ignoring what could be the next step. I would like to avoid re-installing the system. I feel that it's like the startup is unable to find an entry point in the directories even if the command line finds files traditionally. But it's just an assumption. If its true, is thee a way to make him find the files?

Thanks for your help.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), None

Posted on Feb 7, 2014 8:03 PM

1 reply

Feb 8, 2014 3:14 PM in response to Philippe BARDON

Traditional recovery steps

After a forced startup due to a wifi connection issue, the startup stayed stuck with a grey screen, Apple logo and turning spinning indicator. Then I tried all the following solutions:

1. Startup in Safe mode: failed
  2. Reset the NVRAM: failed
  3. Checking disk and files with the disk utility of the recovery disk: failed. The disk check was successful and the permissions check revealed some inconsistencies but all have been repaired successfully. Startup on the recovery disk was successful.

Using Single User startup mode

Then I started in Single User Mode and followed some guidelines found on Apple pages and various forums.

1. I reach a #root prompt after

hfs: mounted Macintosh HD on device root_device XPCM: registered Root device is mounted read-only

With a proposed alternative to modify the files or to continue the booting process.

2. I applied

/sbin/fsck_hfs -fy
    . It returned:

** The volume Macintosh HD seems to be OK ** and ***** The volume was modified *****

3. I applied

/sbin/mount -uw /
    . It finished with

/dev/disk0s2 on / (hfs. local. journaled)

4. I applied

launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.opendirectoryd.plist.

It returned:

Couldn't stat <plist> No such file or directory. Nothing found to load

Using dscl(1)

I read somewhere that the previous error message could be ignored in some situation, but it was impossible for me to determine if it was the case here. I went into dscl(1) as the issue seemed to come from Open Directories. I stayed in the interactive mode as I'm not expert to take the risk of modifying the files and I was not sure of which files to check.

1. The answer was the same than the previous error message indicated above: "nothing found to load"
  2. A

ls
    command returns:

ls: DS error: eServer error; <dscl_cmd> DS Error: -14910 (eServer error;)

3. I exited the dscl interactive mode to come back at the #root prompt.

Trying to look at plist content

1. Through the command line I changed the current directory to look at files in /System/Library/LaunchDaemons. All files are there, with dates, size and permissions.
  2. Some things surprised me. When asking a simple cd not followed by options the return is
    -sh: -cd: HOME not set
    . Maybe this is due to the Single User startup mode? The other one is that when I ask
    cd ..
    whatever could be the current directory position in the tree I get
    -sh: -cd: No such file or directory
  3. I then tried to open a plist to check its content with
    plutil -convert xml1 <file name>
    as I was in the LaunchDaemons directory. I first tried with another file, like com.apple.newsyslog.plist. It returns
    file doesn't not exists or is not readable or is not a regular file
    . The same answer is returned for the opendirectoryd.plist file. Files of this directory are all dated as of Sep 23, probably the date where the system was installed when I bought the MBP, the size of opendirectoryd.plist file is 698 ko and authorisations are
    -rw-r--r--
  4. I tried also to open one of my files in the user directories as this error message was maybe due that they were system files. But I had the same answer with a plist I built myself and I was sure to be valid as it's used by XCode in my developments.

I'm now stuck there ignoring what could be the next step. I would like to avoid re-installing the system. I feel that it's like the startup is unable to find an entry point in the directories even if the command line finds files traditionally. But it's just an assumption. If its true, is thee a way to make him find the files?

Add-on's after initial post

On Feb. 8 (22:50 UTC). I got another computer to connect the MBP in target mode. I was able to open the plist with PropertyList Editor to check that the content was not corrupted. Plist files are valid, even if I don't know if their content is pertinent with the situation.

Thanks for your help. MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Message was edited by: Philippe BARDON to improve formatting and adding latest actions performed.

Startup failed after having applied all steps of recovery but before re-installing the system

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.