Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Broken Audio Over Airplay

Hey All, I see there are lots of airplay issues being reported but I didn't see many related to broken audio issues.

Hardware:

MacBoox Pro 2008 OSX 10.9.1

iPhone 5S on IOS 7.0.4

iPad Air on IOS 7.0.4

Cisco ES4200 Running DD-WRT latest firmware v24-21061

Auris Skye AirPlay adapter on a Bose Sound Dock

Let me start by saying that this is the second Skye unit I have tried and I just rebuilt my router with latest firmware today resetting all settings to default. I can successfully stream audio to the sound dock/Skye unit with no problem from my MBP when I am connected to my network with a network cable.

Problem:

Once I switch to wireless on the MBP I have the broken audio problem this is the same problem I have with both the iPad and the iPhone 5S. The audio will stream well for a couple of minutes then it starts breaking up until it finally stops and ultimately is disconnected by the host unit where the audio then continues on the device from which it is streaming. I RMAed the first Skye unit thinking that it was a defective unit however it functioned exactly as the second unit. It seems that the problem resides in a WiFi transmission to WiFi reception rather than WiFi reception only. Has anyone else experiance anything similar to this?

Posted on Feb 7, 2014 7:22 PM

3 replies

Feb 18, 2014 11:58 PM in response to jeewizz101

Ok Found the problem and a solution.

All the hardware components are fine.

I found that if I ran a Speedtest of my wireless network near the Auris I was bearly getting a reading of upload speed and my download speed was only 14.69 MPS on a 50MPS pipe. The poor upload speed was causing latency in the stream to the auris.

My Wireless Router supports 2.4/5 GHz so I opened up my 5GHz interface through DD-WRT and set it to broadcast. I then joined my IOS devices to that interface and re-ran the speed test near my Auris. I went from a barely registering upload speed to 12.09 MPS Up and 53.79 MPS Down.

Conclusion.

If your WiFi Router supports 5 GHz then set up your IOS devices to use that interface.

Broken Audio Over Airplay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.