Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 11 with library on external HD won't resume downloads

I am running iTunes 11 with the media files stored on an external hard-drive. This setup works great except for one thing:

If I am currently downloading something from the iTunes Store and I quit iTunes (either pausing the download first or not), when I reopen iTunes and it "Checks for Available Downloads" it can't find the interrupted download - I have to go back into my purchases to start the download again.

However, the temporary download files are appearing as expected in the Downloads directory on the external hard-drive but iTunes doesn't appear to be seeing them.

How can I make iTunes see the interrupted download and not have to restart the download from the beginning?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 7, 2014 7:37 PM

5 replies

Feb 7, 2014 9:09 PM in response to talie

talie wrote:

I am running iTunes 11 with the media files stored on an external hard-drive. This setup works great except for one thing:

If I am currently downloading something from the iTunes Store and I quit iTunes

Don't quit iTunes.

How can I make iTunes see the interrupted download and not have to restart the download from the beginning?

You cannot.

Feb 7, 2014 9:21 PM in response to Chris CA

Is this happening because the media files are stored on the external HD?

I still have all the 2 iTunes library files in my user account and they are pointing to the external HD so I would have expected it to work.

Previously, I was running iTunes 11 and Mac OS 10.8 with all the media files on my computer's HD and could pause, quit and resume as much as I liked.

iTunes 11 with library on external HD won't resume downloads

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.