Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Podcast.app on iPhone not Correctly Syncing with iTunes / Stops Playback / Trys Download via 3G

Hi all,

Need your help:

I am having a set of podcasts in iTunes that I would like to listen to when jogging.

Before the introduction of the Podcast.app this was working seamlessly via iTunes Mac<>iPhone synce (i.e., I created a iTunes smart playlist that pulled together these podcast based on type of podcast, date of postcast, and played statef of the podcast). The podcasts were synced to my iPhone as soon as I connected the iPhone, and I could start his playlist

When Podcast.app was introduced, this system broke. Apparently, Apple had decided (rather oddly) to keep Podcasts and Music on Mac in one app (iTunes), but split them up on the iPhone into two separate apps (Music.app and Podcast.app). While this is a surpising design decision, I would not really mind that unless is severly negatively impacts on my ability to just go running and listed to my podcasts. Unfortunately, it does just that: Giving me breaks in playback and other issues all the time... In the beginnig iPhone sync did not work at all, so basically you could not listed to podcasts in any meaningful way (see this forum and people complaing). I thought this had been fixed with an update of Podcast.app. While somewhat better, I, at least, still do not get my Podcast.app to just play my podcast from the beginning of the playlist ("station") to the end.

OK, so this is the current issue: I have set up iTunes to sync (all) podcasts with my iPhone automatically (I basically have the iPhone on the USB cable all the time when at home, syncing immediately before going jogging, there is ample space on the iPhone)... I have a station called "Jogging" which essentially does the same as the former smart playlist, pulling unplayed podcasts/

Still, for reasons that I do not understand and hence do not know how to prevent the iPhone still attempts to load podcasts episodes. Leading to the playback stopping while jogging...

I made screenshots of what comes up at this point:

First this:

User uploaded file

Then that:

User uploaded file

I really do not understand this, as my iTunes is fully updated and synced with the iPhone and iTunes shows "62 unplayed podcasts" for itself as well as for the iPhone.

(1) Why is the darn machine trying to load from 3G when the podcasts are physically on the phone (and why is it asking me and not just doing it, I have told it to use 3G like 100 times to "turn mobile data on", in fact I never restricted mobile data in any way, it is always on)

(2) Or, alternative explanation, why the darn podcast not on the iPhone if iTunes shows it at being there, and should be there by setup?

Regardless if it is (1) or (2), how can I prevent Podcast.app from stopping playback?

User uploaded file

The Podcast.app will get me killed, as I have to fiddle with my iPhone more while jogging then actually looking out for cars, very dangerous in the city. If I am actually getting killed, I will sue Apple for sure...

Happy for any solution to this! (including what I might do wrong) Appreciate your ideas!

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.2

Posted on Feb 7, 2014 9:51 PM

2 replies

Feb 11, 2014 3:32 PM in response to _daniel_

Yup! I have exactly the same problem but with iPhone 5 + iOS 7.0.4 + iTunes 11.1.4. I used to create a playlist of podcasts to listen to via the Music app in the car along with music playlists. I can still create the podcast playlist in iTunes and listen to them in iTunes but the playlist does not appear in Music in the phone. In Podcasts they are there although I also get the screenshots above but only on a random selection. There is no playlist facility in Podcasts so I have to pull the car over to move onto the next podcast. In other words the most useful facility for me (catching upon podcasts) in the car is no longer available. Congratulations Apple! I've heard there are 3rd party apps available but haven't found one yet.

Another backward step is the cackhanded procedure one now has to go through when syncing the phone with iTunes. Setting up a podcast playlist is dead simple. Now it is anything but simple. I can only presume that the guys who have worked on this change have never seriosly used an iPhone on the move.

Apr 7, 2014 7:37 PM in response to _daniel_

Hi everyone,

So this was REALLY frustrating me, but I have seem to found a work around that has temporarily fixed my problem.

1. Settings > General > Usage > Podcasts (this last step waiting for Podcasts to show up did take a few minutes to load)

2. I deleted all of the podcasts out of here and then I uninstalled/reinstalled the podcasts app.

3. Sycned my phone and everything looks to be working now!

Hopefully this helps!

Podcast.app on iPhone not Correctly Syncing with iTunes / Stops Playback / Trys Download via 3G

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.