Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apostrophes trigger weird backspace behavior in Mail

I upgraded to Mavericks a couple of days ago, and since then I've had the weirdest and most annoying problem in my Mail app (and ONLY in my Mail app):

If I type a contraction ending in "re", (example: we're, they're), the spacebar sends the cursor back one character instead of adding a space after the word. So, it deposits the cursor back beteween the "re".

If I form a contraction with any other letter combination (I'll, he'd, it's), the spacebar does nothing on the first strike. I have to hit it twice to get a space after the word. At all other times, the spacebar functions normally.

I've tried turning off spelling checks on my global keyboard preferences, and on Mail.app preferences; I've tried restarting the app and my MacBook. Nothing helps. And since I'm not a very formal writer, it bites me in the *** approximately seventy thousand times a day.

Is there any way to cure this disease?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), Affects Mail.app only

Posted on Feb 7, 2014 8:24 PM

24 replies

Sep 17, 2014 3:14 PM in response to Bentobabe

I have now caught the apostophe bug. Writing an eMail I found that the first time I hit the space bar after an apostophe the curser jumped back, not quite to the apostrophe, but one letter short of it.

for some reason the substitutions menu is greyed out, so I don't think I was using smart quotes.

I may have sorted it, for the time being by changing from check spelling when I send to check spelling as I write - in mail preferences.

I would be interested to hear whether anyone else has a more permanent cure. I don't see why I should set the spelling preferences other than how I want to use them - but the apostrophe bug was driving me crazy.

C.W.

Oct 26, 2014 6:30 PM in response to Bentobabe

Are you sure that the "smart quotes" box really fixed the problem? I have the same problem, but what happens is that when I type an apostrophe, it is at first a straight apostrophe, until I hit the space bar after the word in which I used it, at which time the straight apostrophe turns into a "smart" (i.e., slanted) apostrophe, and the cursor jumps back to the end of the word that was just autocorrected from straight to smart apostrophe.

Turning off smart quotes indeed prevents the backspace, but it does so by *not* turning the straight apostrophe into a slanted apostrophe. So yeah, it prevents the annoying backspace, but at the cost of functionality. How has apple not fixed this after all these months? Does mail just not misbehave this way for most people?

Nov 11, 2014 3:50 PM in response to Bentobabe

Apple, I just recreated this problem on my iMac (wired KB, no wireless KB) by changing Mail > Preferences > Composing > Spellcheck from "as I type" to "never". Then type a contraction ending in 're and the space bar causes the cursor to jump back as others have stated, to the spot 'r|e

Next, I went into System Preferences > Keyboard > Text, and turned off "use smart quotes" and the problem went away again.

From this point (smart quotes off, spell checking never), if I turn Smart Quotes ON, the problem returns.

The problem is dependent on the state of both settings.

The spacebar in Mail "works" if I have either of the following setting combinations:

Keyboard: smart quotes OFF, Mail: check spelling ANY SETTING

Keyboard: smart quotes ON, Mail: check spelling AS I TYPE

Other combinations FAIL

Keyboard: smart quotes ON, Mail: Check spelling NEVER

Keyboard: smart quotes ON, Mail: Check Spelling WHEN I CLICK SEND

Looks to me like there's a bug in Mail > Preferences > Check spelling > NEVER and WHEN I CLICK SEND that interacts badly with Keyboard > Smart quotes ON.

Thanks.

Todd Smithgall

Apostrophes trigger weird backspace behavior in Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.