Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2012 Mountain Lion Macbook Pro screen brightness control disappear

Hi everyone, MY macbook pro bought in 2013 but it is a mid 2012 cMBP 15 inch, it don't have any problem but until recently, the screen brightness control just disappear, I don't have any os x update, still using 10.8.3 version, and I searched the web and most people will just reset the NVRAM by hold the cmdoptionP+R when in the start up screen and I do that too but the screen brightness control just won't come out and the F1 and F2 won't function neither, but the keyboard light key do function & if I press the Fn + F1 or F2 it will has a alert sound which show that the F1 & F2 don't have problem but the special function printe on them(screen brightness control) won't work!

WHy?

I need yr help!!!!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 7, 2014 10:21 PM

12 replies

Jun 7, 2017 9:08 PM in response to JohnnyChin95

A late reply, but maybe it can help someone else. I was having the same problem (brightness keys not working, brightness slider not shown in the Displays - System Preferences) with the same model 2012 MacBook Pro, running 10.11.6 El Capitan. I then found that the keys and preferences worked if I changed to another user (an Admin or a Guest user), and also the keys worked on the login screen. After I restarted the Macbook Pro, the problem cleared up. I was glad I didn't try some of the other suggestions seen in other similar questions like resetting the PRAM or some Terminal commands.

So my basic suggestion is to try with another user account or the login screen, which can rule out keyboard hardware problems.

Feb 8, 2014 12:30 PM in response to JohnnyChin95

JohnnyChin95,

if you open up the Keyboard pane of System Preferences, and select the Keyboard tab, is the “Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys” checkbox checked, or is it unchecked?

If you try each of your function keys in turn, either F1, F2, &c. or Fn+F1, Fn+F2, &c. depending upon the state of the checkbox above, which function keys work properly, and which don’t work properly? For example, does Mission Control appear when F3 (or Fn+F3) is pressed? Does the Dashboard appear when F4 (or Fn+F4) is pressed? and so on.

Feb 9, 2014 12:31 AM in response to Melophage

Hi Melophage,

Thanks for reply,

Ya I sure I uncheck the use f1 ~2 etc as standard, so if I press them without the fn, the special function printed on them(sound volume,play/pause,, screen brightness)will work.

I can't remember when this problem show up, I used to adjust the brightn

from the f1 & 2 or in side the display preferences,but now it disappears if I press the fn + f1 or 2 it will have an alert sound, which mean those key are working just software got problem, so any idea? I tried To reset the NVRAM so many time but problem just not gone.!!!!

Feb 10, 2014 12:07 AM in response to Melophage

Ya I reset it 3 - 4 time already but still the same, when I rreset SMC , I click shift control option and power in the same time but nothing Happen ( nothing show i. Been reset, but the mac not turn on during click those key,), I can't re install the os x, since I have no internet connection yet in my new house, does apple has email , so I can send to them? If I download 10.8.4/5, how big is the file?can my problem be solve after download it?

Btw, I not mean my cMBP is counterfeit, I just want to know how can I check my mac is original, n it is send from shanghaI by DHL but the van is white not labeled DHL but the driverdo wear DHL shirt.

Feb 10, 2014 5:57 PM in response to JohnnyChin95

JohnnyChin95,

I don’t know which forms of support Apple offers in Malaysia, but in the US they only offer support by telephone — no support by e-mail. I haven’t downloaded Mountain Lion myself, but the Mavericks download was over 5 GB; my guess is that Mountain Lion would not be bigger than Mavericks. I don’t understand what you mean when you ask if your Mac is original — since I misunderstood the opposite of original as being “counterfeit”, what do you mean by a non-original Mac?

Feb 11, 2014 5:15 AM in response to Melophage

Hi Melophage,

Now I even found the auto graphics switching function in the power preference disappears!

Beside reinstall os x, do I have any other way to solve my problem?(since my house temporary don't have internet)

My mac actually still remain 2 month warranty but if I send to them I will wait very long to get my mac so I don't want.

About the original, I mean my mac bought from online r send n assembly in shanghai, so I have a little worry does it is original by Apple's hand or is a counterfeit(does apple provide something to make sure it is a original product from them)?

Feb 11, 2014 3:35 PM in response to JohnnyChin95

JohnnyChin95,

reïnstalling OS X will probably be the only real solution. Will your house have Internet before your warranty expires? If not, then it would probably be better to send it to Apple, even though there would be a long wait to get it back; you’ve paid for the warranty in your purchase price, so why not make use of it? (You might also want to consider purchasing an AppleCare plan; you can do so any time before your original warranty expires.) Alternatively, do you know anyone with Internet access who would be willing to let you download OS X onto your MacBook Pro at their home?

To my knowledge, all of the original MacBook Pros are manufactured in China; I don’t know where in China, though. If you received a box that has a sticker with your MacBook Pro’s serial number, Ethernet MAC address, Wi-Fi MAC address, &c., and all of that information matches what’s in your MacBook Pro, then that’s probably a good sign that you have an original Apple product.

In my case, I have a relatively slow 3½ Mb/s downstream DSL connection, so it took about five hours for me to download Mavericks. If your Internet speed will be faster, then your download time should be proportionally shorter.

Feb 12, 2014 1:59 AM in response to Melophage

Thanks Melophage, I guess send back to them is the way I can choose, but if I download the mac os x 10.8.4 or 5, does my problem can be solve? It will download some additional information some problem solving but not my problem type right?

But I afraid even I download the os x 10.8.4 -5 for my mac and solved the problem software,there will be some hidden problem I don't know and not been solve so it good to send back

Feb 12, 2014 5:28 PM in response to JohnnyChin95

JohnnyChin95,

I’ve never run Mountain Lion on my MacBook Pro, so I don’t know if installing the 10.8.5 upgrade would fix your function key problem in 10.8.3 or not. If you fear that there could be a hidden problem, then your best option would be to make use of your warranty and send your MacBook Pro to Apple for them to make things right (and update to 10.8.5 when you get it back, if they haven’t done it for you).

2012 Mountain Lion Macbook Pro screen brightness control disappear

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.