Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod nanos fail to play long Audible audiobooks

Why would long (over twenty hours) Audible audiobooks play fine on an IPod shuffle but not play on IPod nano's?

After about 15 hours, the sound from my nano (6th gen, 64 GB) turns into a squeal. I downloaded a fresh copy of the book from Audible, reset my nano, and tried again. Same result. I can hear the book fine directly from my Mac. I loaded it on an IPod shuffle and have no problem. I listened to the whole book. I purchased another long (thirty hour) book from Audible, emptied my nano and loaded the new book. About 15 hours in, the same squeal returned. I went back through getting a fresh copy of the book, reset the nano, etc. Same result. Again, the book plays fine on the shuffle.

Thinking the nano was defective or broken, I purchased a new, 7th generation nano and tried again. The squeal returned at the same chapter in the book as it did on the 6th gen nano.

Both nano's have plenty of free memory as the books take up less than half the memory capacity. Both nanos are fully charged. My ITunes version is up to date.

I would appreciate any insights anyone can offer.

Posted on Feb 7, 2014 10:46 PM

4 replies

Jan 1, 2015 4:45 PM in response to JD1984

I have this same exact problem, although it stops playing the audiobook at around half way through chapter 35, or 36 on a couple of different books that I downloaded from audible.com. I have never had this problem on my iPod shuffle, the same files from the same Mac play great on the shuffle, and of course play great in iTunes on the mac, but put them on the nano and i can only listen to the first thirty 35 chapters of the book. The whole reason i got the Nano was so that i could listen to huge audiobooks, and it looks like it does not work for that. Love to know if there was a setting or something that I could change. Love some solution to this, thanks.

Jan 15, 2015 4:50 PM in response to JD1984

I have found a solution to this problem. With Audible.com t when you go under "My Books" there is a setting to download different formats. The Best format setting gives you every book as one big file. All of the other settings which are not as good, give you the books in pieces that are no longer than 10 hours. Download that version, sync to your iPod nano, and that great big book you have will play fine.

iPod nanos fail to play long Audible audiobooks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.