Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Verizon DSL, Westell 6100 modem/router, and Airport Extreme

Useful info so you won't have to go through what I did.

Verizon ISP using the Westell 6100 modem/router & Airport Extreme.

The Westell 6100 was configured during installation as a modem and router with a direct connection to the Mac. You can actually connect Airport Extreme at this point with an ethernet connection to the Westell and it will work, but you can't do any of the sharing things (remote login, personal web sharing, etc.) To do those things the Westell needs to be in the Bridge mode. In a nutshell, you have to edit the Westell's VC configuration to establish Bridge mode, and disable its DHCP server. Then you have to set up the Airport to connect using PPPoE using the Account Name and Password from Verizon.

1. With the Westell connected directly to the Mac, access the device at 192.168.1.1.
a. Under VC Configuration the first of seven configurations should already be enabled as VPI 0, VCI 35 using PPPoE. Edit that one and change it to Bridge mode.
b. Under DHCP configuration, disable the DHCP server. You can also do this under the Private LAN Configuration page. If at the latter, do not attempt to disable the Private LAN (it won't let you anyway). Verizon tech support kept insisting I had to disable the Private LAN, which caused a great amount of anguish!
c. Before leaving 192.168.1.1 (you won't be able to access it again once the Airport is connected and configured) make sure you know your ISP account name and password. This was assigned during my setup procedure with Verizon, a random selection of letters and numbers.

2. Now hook up the Airport WAN to the Westell's ethernet port and the Mac to the Airport LAN. Fire up Airport Admin Utility.
a. Under the Internet tab, select Connect Using PPPoE.
b. Configure PPPoE using the Verizon Account Name.
c. Change password to the Verizon account password.

3. Restart and that's it.

Dual 1.8 GHz PowerPC G5, Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on Aug 5, 2006 9:25 AM

1 reply

Aug 31, 2006 4:09 AM in response to Fly_Navy

Thank you for your post. When I moved to another home, Verizon sent me the Westell 6100 and I had been having trouble staying connected to the Internet with my Airport. Last night, I loss wireless access and the Airport status in the menu bar read "Looking for a PPPoE connection". Verizon customer support was able to get me back online, albeit with only a direct Ethernet connection between my iBook and the 6100.

I found your post and followed your instructions. Now all the iBooks in our household are back online via the Airport. Thank you very much!

iBook G4 933Mhz Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Verizon DSL, Westell 6100 modem/router, and Airport Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.