Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My soon to be ex husband installed a tracking app on my phone but I can't locate it. How do I check if it is still there

I have read on a few apps that even setting phone back to factory settings will not remove the application

iPhone 4, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Feb 8, 2014 8:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2014 8:16 AM

A tracking app on the iPhone would require permission in Location Service. Start by checking there:
Settings > Privacy > Location Services. This will list all the apps that want to use your location and you can turn them on/off as you wish.

The only other possibility is Find My iPhone. To track you with Find My iPhone he would need to know your Apple ID & password. If he does, I would highly recommend changing your password.

You can disable Find My iPhone in Location Services too but then if you were to lose the device you would lose the ability to locate/lock/wipe it remotely as well as Activation Lock. Not to mention he will still have the password to your account.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2014 8:16 AM in response to 1pissedoffma

A tracking app on the iPhone would require permission in Location Service. Start by checking there:
Settings > Privacy > Location Services. This will list all the apps that want to use your location and you can turn them on/off as you wish.

The only other possibility is Find My iPhone. To track you with Find My iPhone he would need to know your Apple ID & password. If he does, I would highly recommend changing your password.

You can disable Find My iPhone in Location Services too but then if you were to lose the device you would lose the ability to locate/lock/wipe it remotely as well as Activation Lock. Not to mention he will still have the password to your account.

Feb 8, 2014 8:18 AM in response to 1pissedoffma

To do so, without being noticed, requires jailbreaking the device, & if so, you won't be able to locate the app or delete it. If that's what's been done, your only choice is to use DFU mode to restore the phone:

1. Close iTunes.

2. Connect your iPhone to your computer and then launch iTunes.

3. Turn your iPhone off (hold down the power button at the top of the iPhone).

4. Then, hold down the sleep/wake button and home button together for EXACTLY 10 SECONDS, then release the sleep/wake button.

5. Continue to hold down the Home button until a message appears in iTunes telling you an iPhone in recover mode has been detected. When you are in DFU mode your iPhone screen will be completely black. Remember that if you see the restore logo, iTunes logo, or any message on the iPhone screen, you are not in DFU mode but standard Recovery Mode.

6. Hit the OK message that should popup to restore your phone. Restore as "New".

Be aware, this may or may not work.

Good luck.

Feb 8, 2014 8:27 AM in response to wjosten

He didn't have to jailbreak the phone as I am a trusting & faithful wife I had nothing to hide & only kept a lock for the phone to keep the babies from using it. He knew the code & did this while I was napping with the children one day according to him. Supposedly this app runs in a background & has gps tracking as well as remote activation of cameras & mic. Is that even possible? Why the **** would someone need that?

My soon to be ex husband installed a tracking app on my phone but I can't locate it. How do I check if it is still there

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.