Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Resynchronise your iMessage and FaceTime to new phone number after transferring old number to new phone and sim card

I recently upgraded my iphone 4 to an iphone 5. For various reasons I stayed with the same network (02 - UK) but was issued new hardware, new sim and new phone number. After setting up my phone, I requested my old number to be transferred to my new hardware and remove the new number.

This all went smoothly and I was happy.

After a few days it was brought to my attention that every time I used IMessage or FaceTime, the connection was coming up on the recipients phone as the number issued with the new hardware and not my transferred number ( which worked fine for phone calls and SMS texts).

I looked at the 'my number' stored in the contacts on the phone and that was showing the wrong number, also the number associated with I messages and FaceTime calls as seen in The settings/messages and settings/FaceTime were associated with the wrong number.

Having searched for a solution I found it seems to be a common problem with all sorts of proposed solutions that didn't work. After a few hours of frustration I finally found a posted solution that worked.

So thought I would try to help others out by posting it:

1) go into settings/ messages. Go down to the addresses shown in send & receive, click on the Apple ID and sign out.

2) turn off the I message button in settings/ messages

3) go into settings/ FaceTime. Click on the Apple ID and sign out

4) turn off the FaceTime button in settings/FaceTime

5) go into settings/phone and select my number.

6) iv it's showing the wrong ( number issued with the hardware) enter the correct number ( the one you want to use that has been transferred) and press save.

7) the correct umber should now be seen in the my number location in your contacts.

8) now go back into settings/messages

9)turn on iMessage

10) go down to settings/messages/ send&receive

11) click on the icon asking to use your Apple ID for iMessage and sign back in with your password

12) once it has verified you, press next

13) you may see that it is still showing the wrong number in the addresses being used (ignore it) and you should see in the settings/messages screen under the iMessage button, the message saying awaiting activation, or something like that ( it may take a few minutes to synchronise but once it does the number should have changed to the correct phone number.

14), do the same I. The settings/FaceTime screen ( I.e. Sign back in with your Apple ID and password and wait for it to resynch, once it has it too should be showing the correct number.

That should be it and all should be working correctly, it worked fine for me when none of the other suggestions did.

Hope this helps someone else avoid the frustrations I had.

All the best.

Moz

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Feb 8, 2014 9:14 AM

1 reply

Resynchronise your iMessage and FaceTime to new phone number after transferring old number to new phone and sim card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.