Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What do the different wireless "radio mode"s mean?

I can NOT find a good explanation of what the different radio modes mean in the AirPort Utility -> Wireless -> Wireless Options... -> <hold option while clicking> Radio Mode:

User uploaded file

There seem to be two columns, one to the left of the dash ( - ), and one to the right.

I've looked high and low to find a definitive explanation of what these different modes mean, but can't seem to find one. Is there a manual somewhere that explains this, or can someone in this forum definitively explain what all these options mean?

iPhone 4, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Feb 8, 2014 10:48 AM

10 replies

Feb 8, 2014 11:49 AM in response to joe619

802.11 is a wireless standard.

There are a number of different versions of 802.11, which operate at 2.4 GHz.

802.11b is limited to speeds of 11 Mbps

802.11g is limited to speeds of 54 Mbps

802.11b/g would accomodate both 802.11b and 802.11g devices. A "g" device would connect at "g" speeds while a "g" device would connect at "b" 'speeds

802.11n is limited to speeds of about 130 Mbps

802.11b/g/n would acommodate devices that were "n" capabile, "g" capable and "b" capable

There are also different versions of 802.11, which operate at 5 GHz

802.11a is limited to 54 Mbps

802.11n (5 GHz) is limited to about 450 Mbps

802.11a/n would accomodate devices that were "a" capable and also "n" capable

Looking at the chart above......

802.11 (5 GHz) settings are to the left of the - (dash) and 802.11 2.4 GHz settings are to the right

You will save yourself a great deal of time and effort if you simply select the Automatic setting, which is compatible with any 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz device that might connect.

There might be a theoretical reason or two why one would want to use one of the individual settings above, but for the other 99%, best to not worry about this.

Apple's "new" AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule only use the Automatic setting which is compatible with any device that you might want to connect. You cannot use another setting, even if you want to. Such is progress.

More info here:

List of WLAN channels - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Feb 8, 2014 12:03 PM in response to Bob Timmons

I'm actually having a VERY odd wireless problem with my iMac, which is why I'm looking at changing my wireless radio mode settings...

My iMac completely stops passing traffic over the wifi randomly, while the wifi network remains connected at full strength.... The only symptom is that all traffic ceases to pass. It will either resolve itself over time, or I can turn the wifi off, then back on, in the imac and it starts working again.

I've determined it is NOT a hardware issue, as apple already replaced the wifi card and antenna in the imac. I've also determined it is not a software profile problem, as I can reproduce the problem with a clean install of the OS.

I'm extending my wifi network (aka WDS) in my house via 2 airport expresses and it seems to be some VERY odd interference with MY network. I've done site surveys, and there isn't much wifi in my neighborhood that would interfere. If I change the wireless modes, I can get the problem to almost disappear.

The problem in doing that is that is airports seem to ONLY backhaul their WDS over the 2.4 GHz, NOT 5.8 (this makes sense because 2.4 penetrates better), BUT 2.4 is slower in most cases and I've been having streaming buffering issues on my LAN.

When I go back to fully automatic mode I can stream fine on my LAN, but then the iMac starts having its wireless problems again. One temporary solution I've found was to plug my iMac into an airport express that is in bridge mode.... But is not a long term fix for my wireless problem....

Feb 8, 2014 12:26 PM in response to joe619

Cordless phones are common culprits for wireless interference issues, as well as baby monitors, some TV monitors, and Blu-Tooth devices in general.......not to mention the other wireless networks around you.

WDS (if you are using these old settings) only operates on 2.4 GHz and using WDS just kills the bandwidth on the network. You start at 54 Mbps, but when you add a second WDS device, the entire network drops in half down to 27 Mbps. Add another WDS device and you are down to about 14 Mbps.

WDS also tends to make the entire network more sensitive to interference from other sources.

Your performance will improve dramatically if you can connect Airports together using a wired Ethernet connection.

Feb 8, 2014 1:25 PM in response to Bob Timmons

I know WDS is not ideal, but it's the best I can do in my house right now, until I can wire it up someday.

Also keep in mind, that 54 Mbps is ONLY theoretical. In real world use, you will only get 50-80% of that in actual throughput.

I do have cordless phones, but they are DECT (operate in 1.9 Ghz frequency) and should not interfere with my wireless network.

Performance is adequate when I set radio mode to automatic, because it doesn't lock the backhaul to 54 Mbps (Instead it ranges from 86-140 Mbps). But when I allow automatic, I get very odd wireless problems on my iMac.

Feb 8, 2014 1:43 PM in response to joe619

Also keep in mind, that 54 Mbps is ONLY theoretical. In real world use, you will only get 50-80% of that in actual throughput.

Exactly. If you want to talk in terms of real throughput on your network, with WDS, it is running about 6-7 Mbps on your entire network.

If you cannot run Ethernet cabling, you might want to take a look at some Ethernet powerline adapters to send the signals over the existing powerlines in your home.

In theory....you already have the wiring in place. In practice, powerline is not always the perfect solution...and it will not compete with normal Ethernet cabling.

Most adapters will allow 100-200+ Mbps throughput, so you would dramatically improve the performance of the network using them.....if that is of interest to you.

You could even use one adapter to connect directly with the iMac.....and not have to fool with wireless at all.

My opinion.....iMacs ( I have one as well) are "iffy" with wireless since Apple buried the wireless antenna deep in the device, where it is hard for signals to reach. It is amazing how many complaints we get from users on the forums about poor wireless with iMacs. There might be a reason.

What do the different wireless "radio mode"s mean?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.