Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting a Time Capsule 802.11 AC 2TB to an AT

I currently use AT&T U-Verse for phone, internet and TV. I just purchased, and have not yet configured, a TimeCapsule to back up my iMac. How do I connect the TimeCapsule to the network without losing the U-Verse funtionality? Can I connect it directly to the iMac for purposes of back-up without connecting the TC to the network? I tried to find a way to do that, to simplify things, but I kept getting the instruction to connect the TC to the network.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 8, 2014 10:49 AM

3 replies

Feb 8, 2014 12:05 PM in response to MaryEllenK

You really should use the TC as part of the network.

To avoid it you need to do a fully manual configuration of the TC .. it is possible but not worth it.

BTW if you really want to just plug it into the Mac.. return the TC and buy a USB drive.. it is cheaper, faster and more reliable than the TC to do backups.

The TC will work fine.. plug it by ethernet WAN port TC to the LAN port of the uverse and run through the seutp utility.. it should simply choose to bridge the TC.. it will play no part in routing.. and will become a Wireless Access Point (WAP) and switch as well as provide the network drive.

If you have trouble we can give more details.

Feb 8, 2014 12:12 PM in response to MaryEllenK

Connect an Ethernet cable.....any length that you want.......from one of the LAN <-> ports on the Uverse router to the WAN "O" port on the Time Capsule. This must remain a permanent connection.

Apple assumes that you want the Time Capsule to provide a wireless network, so it will do that during the setup. If you don't need or want another wireless network, it can be turned off after the Time Capsule is initially configured.

On your Mac.....open Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility

Click on Other WiFi Devices

Click on Time Capsule xxxxxx

The setup utility will open up automatically and analyze things, and then announce that the Time Capsule will be configured to provide a network.

Edit to enter the device name that you want to use for the Time Capsule

Edit to assign a name to the wireless network.....something like "Wireless" would be fine

Enter a password that you want to use for the Time Capsule.....minimum 8 characters

Verify the password

Click Next

The utility will setup everything for you in a few minutes. When you see a green light on the Time Capsule...that is a very good sign. Click Done and close the utility application.

If you want to connect the iMac to the Time Capsule using an Ethernet cable, you can do so. Connect from the iMac to one of the LAN <-> ports on the Time Capsule.

You can also use wireless.....either the Uverse wireless.....or the Time Capsule wireless network that you created. For convenience, you might want to use the Uverse wireless network......even though the Time Capsule will provide a much faster signal.

Post back on your progress and let us know if you want to keep the Time Capsule wireless network, or if you want to turn it off and only use the Uverse wireless

Connecting a Time Capsule 802.11 AC 2TB to an AT

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.