Previous 1 2 Next 25 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2014 1:16 PM by Old Toad
A.dickey Level 1 Level 1

I have 3500 photos on iphoto on my macbook pro.

When i connect my iphone and go to photos sync page in itunes, I can choose wehre to sync from. I then select iphoto (because I dont konw where else my iphotos are) and then i see about 800 photos listed beside the word iphoto folder in itunes.

So why are 2700 photos that are on my mac book not showing in my itunes that is also on my macbook and how do i get them onto my iphone where i want to use iphoto

Tx

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.3
  • léonie Level 10 Level 10
    expertise.photosformac
    Photos for Mac

Perhaps the iPod Photo Cache folder is corrupted. Try if deleting this folder from your iPhoto library helps.

See:   iTunes: Understanding the iPod Photo Cache folder

• A.dickey Level 1 Level 1

thanks for this suggestion. i tried it but itunes still shows 800 photos to be synced when there shoudl be 3500

very weird

i have just realised that the 800 are from the last 12 months only ....

so that explains something at least

but what do i do to get the previous 15 years worth over now into iphoto on my iphone and ipad from my macbook iphoto library ?

• léonie Level 10 Level 10
    expertise.photosformac
    Photos for Mac

Try, if repairing your iPhoto library will help:

What is your iPhoto version? In iPhoto '11 use the procedure described by Old Toad here:

Rebuild iPhoto Version 11

And in iPhoto '09 or earlier:

Rebuilding iPhoto Library 09 and Earlier

this resulted in me losing all my photos

• LarryHN Level 10 Level 10
    expertise.photosformac
    Photos for Mac

given zero information yoruy only choice is to restore yoru backup from before you did what every you did

LN

• Old Toad Level 10 Level 10
    expertise.photosformac
    Photos for Mac

I would say your photos are still in the library package/folder but the database is damaged.  Since we don't know what version of iPhoto and system you're using this may be your only option:

x

Starting over from scratch with new library

Start over with a new library and import the Originals (iPhoto 09 and earlier) or the Masters (iPhoto 11) folder from your original library as follows:

1. Open the library package like this.

open.PNG

2. Launch iPhoto with the Option key held down and, when asked, select the option to create a new library.

3. Drag the subfolders of the Originals (iPhoto 09 and earlier) or the Masters (iPhoto 11) folder from the open iPhoto Library package into the open iPhoto window a few at a time.

iPhotolibcontents.PNG

This will create a new library with the same Events (but not necessarily the same Event names) as the original library but will not keep the metadata, albums, books slideshows and other projects.

Note:  your current library will be left untouched for further attempts at a fix if so desired.

OT

I am using the latest version of photo on the latest version of mavericks

9.5.1  is the version of iphoto  (not sure where to get iphoto 11 - I dont see it in the app store

OSX 10.9.1 is the version of Mavericks

Thanks for this...about to try....before Point 1...where do I go to do this?

the only originals file i see has nothing in it

how can i create a new iphoto library from a back up on my time capsule....would that work? But i notice i cannot get any option for package contents in time capsule when i hold ctrl down and click on iphoto there

expertise.photosformac
    Photos for Mac

The entire iPhoto library must be restored from TM.  Then launch iPhoto with the Option key held down, select the restored library and open it. 

ip11TMlibrestore.PNG

expertise.photosformac
    Photos for Mac

Go to your Pictures folder where the iPhoto LIbrary should reside.

Tx for that... before i got it I did this....

I could not open the iphoto library in time capsule with iphoto because it wouldnt let me.

I copied a previous version from time capsule onto my desktop

I then did as you said and held the option key down and opened iphoto using the new item on the desktop

However, every photo from before 2013 is showing as a placeholder. It is very odd.

Should I now go into Time capsule and follow your instruction above or have i inadvertently done something that means i should now do something else...?

Previous 1 2 Next