Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to convert music files/find them?

Hello Community,
I am a music writer. I write my music using grage band so that I can up load the music into Itines and listen to it, burn it to disks, share it, ect. Recently I have been getting requests for sheet music for my songs. WhatI have been doing is using garage band to look at the songs and to re-write them note by note by note on Finale Notepad. The issue is that I can not find some of my older garage band files. I do have the itunes files of them but I can not recreate the songs by ear. I was wondering if there was a way to recover old Garage band files or a way to convert Itunes music to a readable/sheetmusic format? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

iPod classic, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 8, 2014 12:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2014 12:23 PM

I was wondering if there was a way to recover old Garage band files or a way to convert Itunes music to a readable/sheetmusic format?

I assume, you have already searched all your backups for the missng GarageBand projects?

GarageBand cannot analyze audio files and transcribe them. You will need other tools,unfortunately are they more expensive than GarageBand.

• Transcribe: This app can help you to transcribe the chords played at a given point of the audio track.
  • Logic: If your audio file uses a single instrument, can Logic display the notes in piano roll view.
  • Melodyne: Melodyne will also analyze a song and try to show the notation view of the song.

All results are far from a proper musical score, bt they can help you to create it.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2014 12:23 PM in response to Otterer

I was wondering if there was a way to recover old Garage band files or a way to convert Itunes music to a readable/sheetmusic format?

I assume, you have already searched all your backups for the missng GarageBand projects?

GarageBand cannot analyze audio files and transcribe them. You will need other tools,unfortunately are they more expensive than GarageBand.

• Transcribe: This app can help you to transcribe the chords played at a given point of the audio track.
  • Logic: If your audio file uses a single instrument, can Logic display the notes in piano roll view.
  • Melodyne: Melodyne will also analyze a song and try to show the notation view of the song.

All results are far from a proper musical score, bt they can help you to create it.

Feb 8, 2014 1:07 PM in response to Otterer

I like particularly Melodyne, but it is luxury.

Have you tried the free Audacity? It could also help to transcribe the chords at least.

And I forgot to mention: In some way could the Guitar tuner help in GB, if you play your song from a different device - iPod, iPhone look at the Tuner. It will show you the dominant notes of the chords played.

How to convert music files/find them?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.