Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot boot iMac.

I have a mid 2010 27" iMac. I keep it up to date, incl. the latest OS, but recently it won't boot. It either grinds/white screen or I get the ?/folder. I know what these are & tried all startup shortcuts. I can boot to the OS disk (Snow Leopard), but don't want to reinstall the OS as I would prefer to recover some data. It's not life/death, I won't lose much that I don't have backed up, but there are some things I would like to recover. I try opening the disk utility from the OS installer menu, but it just runs and runs and runs 'gathering disk information'. How long should I reasonably wait for this? If I reinstall the operating system, does it wipe the disk and all my data with it, or does it partition the drive leaving the data recoverable? Is there an option to partition it so I can recover data? If I have to open it up and remove the harddrive to attach it and recover files that way, I will, as I do have many other systems, so the unit/hardware isn't a huge loss to me if I can't put it all back together again. Though I am reasonably technically competent/experienced. Help? Thanks.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), 16 GB Ram, 3.2 Intel Core i3

Posted on Feb 8, 2014 12:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2014 1:10 PM

Whilst it may not be your fault I am afraid it appears that your post is on a forum which is not the best for your OS. It will save the time of the unpaid volunteers here, and may resolve your issue faster, if you could examine the list below and see if there is a more appropriate forum to which you could direct your question.

OS X 10.9 Mavericks
OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
OS X 10.7 Lion
OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
OS X 10.5 Leopard
OS X 10.4 Tiger
OS X 10.3 and earlier
OS 9, OS 8 & System 7
OS X Technologies
OS X Server
iPad
iPhone
iPod
Other

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2014 1:10 PM in response to wandaeaston

Whilst it may not be your fault I am afraid it appears that your post is on a forum which is not the best for your OS. It will save the time of the unpaid volunteers here, and may resolve your issue faster, if you could examine the list below and see if there is a more appropriate forum to which you could direct your question.

OS X 10.9 Mavericks
OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
OS X 10.7 Lion
OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
OS X 10.5 Leopard
OS X 10.4 Tiger
OS X 10.3 and earlier
OS 9, OS 8 & System 7
OS X Technologies
OS X Server
iPad
iPhone
iPod
Other

Cannot boot iMac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.